Melissa’s Menu: Snickerdoodle Mug Cake

This week on Melissa's Menu is a snickerdoodle mug cake. (Photo courtesy of  Five Heart Home )

This week on Melissa's Menu is a snickerdoodle mug cake. (Photo courtesy of Five Heart Home)

Have you ever craved something sweet but didn’t feel like spending a lot of time or money on dessert? If so, I have the perfect solution. Mug cakes have become really popular in the past few years, and for good reason. They’re easy and quick desserts that can still be delicious. This week’s recipe, a snickerdoodle mug cake, will satisfy all your cravings. It’s warm, cinnamon-y and sweet!

Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup milk, at room temperature
  • 2 tablespoons salted butter, melted and cooled
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • For layering/topping:
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:

In a small bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder  and cinnamon until thoroughly combined, with no streaks of any ingredients remaining. Blend in milk, butter and vanilla until batter is smooth. Into a 14 ounce (or larger) microwave-safe mug with straight sides, scoop a big spoonful of batter, then sprinkle with a spoonful of cinnamon sugar. Alternate layers with the rest of the batter, ending with cinnamon sugar. Microwave on high for one to one and a half minutes, or until cake is thoroughly cooked. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes before serving.

Mug recipes are great because they are just one serving, so they are perfect for someone who isn’t looking for a huge dessert or meal. They’re also perfect for someone who wants to bake but doesn’t want a lot of fuss or doesn’t have access to a full kitchen. Not only is it convenient, but it’s very yummy. You’ll never know the difference between this mug cake and a traditional cake!

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.