Mohaned Serdah runs for Graduate Trustee

Serdah’s six years of being a member of the UConn community, he said, will make him a reliable advocate for student’s interest. (Photo provided by writer)

Mohaned Serdah, graduate student at the School of Medicine, said he will use his advocacy experience to ensure the University of Connecticut provides an affordable education and fair policies.

One issue Serdah she he wants to bring attention to if elected as trustee is the federal changes in Title IX laws.

“I want to maintain protections for student in respects to Title IX,” Serdah said. “I believe many people are aware the federal government recently revoked two important mandates in regards to Title IX and the university sent out a statement saying they will continue to enforce these mandates.”

Along with holding the holding the university accountable in regards to Title IX laws, Serdah said he wants to address the increases in university fees.

“My biggest goal is ensuring that our education continues to be affordable for students of UConn,” Serdah said. “I think that's the biggest concern students have: if their tuition continues to increase. One of the main concerns I’ll focus on is trying to work hard against tuition increase. There's different avenues the university can go about to address budget concerns and I think increasing tuition should be last resort.”

Serdah said he is qualified to bring about these changes because of his experience in advocacy acquired through advocating for patients as a med student.

“My experience that qualifies me the most is my history of advocacy to others,” Serdah said. “One of my positions that I think was important was my role as a TA undergrad. That was a very important experience to me to give back to UConn community.”

Serdah’s six years of being a member of the UConn community, he said, will make him a reliable advocate for student’s interest.

“People should vote for me because I’ve been a member for this community for six years, and I’ll be more than available to listen to the concerns of others,” Serdah said. “I’d be more than willing to sit down and have a conversation with them and talk to them, and listen to their ideas and concerns. I’m a person who is open to the ideas of others and I’m open minded. I’d be more than happy to do it now as a candidate or a trustee.”

Lillian Whittaker is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lillian.whittaker@uconn.edu.