Profile of Graduate Student Trustee candidate Shaan Kamal

Kamal said he hopes to help UConn continue to succeed and grow, especially in the face of budget cuts from the state. (Courtesy/Facebook)

Graduate Student Trustee candidate Shaan Kamal said his University of Connecticut pride and ability to be accessible to students make him a strong candidate for the position.

“(The Graduate Student Trustee) represents students from so many different campuses — the Law School, Medical School, Dental School, Storrs campus and some of the regional campuses,” Kamal said. “Being available and knowing what students’ concerns are is very important. The student representative should be making sure that students’ voices are heard at board of trustee meetings.”

Kamal is a second-year student at the UConn School of Medicine. He previously graduated from the university with a bachelor’s degree in molecular and cell biology and a master’s degree in structural biology, biochemistry and biophysics.

“I was an Honors Scholar, University Scholar and served on the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences’ Leadership Board,” Kamal said. “I submitted written testimony to the state regarding proposed budget cuts, and I currently serve as the UConn American Medical Association chapter president.”

Kamal said he has the patience and “feel for where things are headed” that a Graduate Student Trustee needs.

“I’m really invested in the success of UConn and love hearing things like the increase in scholarship money since the Barnes & Noble partnership began,” Kamal said. “Knowledge of current events and things going on throughout campus is very valuable.”

Kamal said he has had UConn pride since he was an undergraduate and has loved seeing the school grow.

“When I was applying to college I think we were just becoming a top 20 public university and now we’re 18th,” Kamal said. “In that time the undergraduate campus has had the addition of Storrs Center, the tech park and all the other things we’ve developed.”

Kamal said he hopes to help UConn continue to succeed and grow, especially in the face of budget cuts from the state.

“I really would love UConn to steer its way through all of the challenges coming up in the near future and ultimately come out successful,” Kamal said.

Gabriella DeBenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.