Profile of Graduate Student Trustee candidate Tyler Daddio

Daddio said, despite graduate students holding only one seat on the 21-person Board of Trustees, he hopes to be a positive voice for graduate students. (Courtesy/LinkedIn)

Graduate Student Trustee candidate Tyler Daddio said his work ethic and involvement in graduate student affairs make him a strong candidate for the position.

Daddio is a first-year graduate student, pursuing both a computer science and engineering degree in Storrs and a public administration degree in Hartford. He completed his undergraduate career at the University of Connecticut, earning a dual degree in computer science and mathematics.

“In terms of work ethic, I definitely think I’m one of the more qualified candidates,” Daddio said. “As an undergrad I took 33 credits in one semester and managed to do research at the same time, while being an officer at two organizations. And I’m currently balancing two graduate programs at two campuses.”

Daddio said he previously served as treasurer for the Association of Computing Machinery, the Street Performer’s Club and the Yarn Crafts Club.

“I have not been in student government as of yet, although a bunch of my friends have and I’ve been moderately to significantly active through them,” Daddio said.

Daddio said he is currently and will continue to be a UConn teaching assistant.

“I’m definitely dedicated to the goals of the Graduate Employee Union,” Daddio said. “They’re currently fighting for an employment contract that the university has been rather stubborn on and have been fighting for over 100 days now. Many graduate students work way more than the 20 hours they’re paid for, which is absurd.”

If elected, Daddio said he hopes to fight against increases in tuition.

“Certainly I am for, and I think every other candidate is for, fighting against increases in tuition,” Daddio said.

Daddio said, despite graduate students holding only one seat on the 21-person Board of Trustees, he hopes to be a positive voice for graduate students.

“I can’t make any promises, all I can say is that I will certainly work hard,” Daddio said. “I think my work ethic and proven history interacting with students could cause me to make some changes happen.”

Gabriella DeBenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.