Profile of USG presidential candidate Ama Appiah

Appiah said she hopes to “shed a positive light” on USG, making it more accessible and transparent. (Photo provided by writer)

University of Connecticut Undergraduate Student Government (USG) presidential candidate Ama Appiah said her leadership experience and on-campus involvement make her a strong candidate.

Appiah, a sixth-semester communications and molecular and cell biology double major, currently serves as USG’s CLAS senator and chairwoman of its Academic Affairs Committee, as well as the vice president of marketing and communication on the CLAS leadership board.

Appiah said her experience in those positions, combined with her experience in positions she’s held outside of UConn, qualify her to serve as USG president.

“I’ve done a lot for (USG) and I’ve done a lot for UConn in general. Everyone calls me the ‘UConn Guru’ because I just love this school so much and I advocate for it so much,” Appiah said. “There’s something so special about the students here, and I want to be able to take that passion that I share with my peers and other students to launch us to success.”

Her experience working with administrators will help in her role as USG president, Appiah said.

“I’ve been able to introduce myself to administrators and communicate well with them, (and) I think that’s really important (when) trying to get things done,” Appiah said. “Students do care and really are determined to make their voices heard. That all starts with making sure that you have a good relationship with our administrators.”

Appiah said if elected, her main goal is to make sure UConn students reach their maximum potential.

“I know that students here have that potential,” Appiah said. “You can see it in their school spirit, when you go into Gampel Pavilion you see the students that are so excited, see the energy that they have. I want to be able to take that energy and make sure that it’s being applied to academics and education because that’s why we’re here.”

Appiah said she hopes to “shed a positive light” on USG, making it more accessible and transparent.

“I think students aren’t really clear on what USG actually does and what we represent, so I want to make sure students understand that we are here for them, no matter what it is – if it’s for funding, if it’s for academics, sustainability, whatever that matter may be, we’re here for them,” Appiah said.

Gabriella DeBenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at