Samuel Surowitz runs for Graduate Board of Trustees

Surowitz said his prospective agenda will be made through the thoughts and concerns of students. (Photo provided by writer)

Samuel Surowitz, history and public administration graduate student, said he will use his militeral and bureaucratic experience to on the Board of Trustees in order to promote classroom safety, grading fairness and more accessible funding.

“I think the graduate trustee is a very important position and shouldn’t be taken lightly at all,” Surowitz said. “I’ve worked at UConn over the years. I’ve seen how different departments work and how the university runs.”

Surowitz said his 12 years of military experience, his experience in Undergraduate Student Government and his research skills, are what make him fit  to be a trustee.

“I have persistence and I have a lot of experience working in a bureaucracy in the military and UConn as a student employee. I just don't take no for an answer,” Surowitz said. “I also do my research so if someone tells me we can do that or we can't do this, I do my research. I think i'm very thorough.”

Surowitz said his years of bureaucratic experience will help him affect change in the university.

Surowitz has three main goals in mind if elected to the position. First he wants to bring attention to public safety.

“I believe that most rooms should be capable of locking from the inside. Glass should be frosted so at least you could close the door and lock it without being seen inside,” Surowitz said. “I think we are lagging behind if we haven't reached these (standards).”

Surowitz also disapproves grading being done by third party companies because he said it is not a reliable representation of knowledge.

“I think it's important that UConn students only be graded by a UConn professor or TA,” Surowitz said. “No grading of students can be done by third party vendors.”

Easier accessibility to funding for student organizations and protecting existing funding, is another change Surowitz said he wants to be made.

“I would like the students to get funding more easily,” Surowitz said. “If you want to get money as a student organization, you shouldn't have to spend the majority of your time trying to figure out arbitrary funding rules and ridiculous criteria to get it.”

Surowitz said his prospective agenda will be made through the thoughts and concerns of students.

“The important thing is representing the students. You can’t miss one meeting or go to one unprepared and just be along for a ride,” Surowitz said. “I don’t think a lot of candidates will take that responsibility.”

Lillian Whittaker is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lillian.whittaker@uconn.edu.