Stoneman Douglas Victim Alex Schachter becomes honorary Husky

Admissions director Nathan Fuerst offered Alex Schachter posthumous admission to UConn after the teen was killed in a mass shooting at a Florida high school. (The University of Connecticut)

In this undated photo made available by Lisa Jackson Nesmith, Alex Schachter poses at a school band performance. Schachter was a student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. He was killed when former student Nikolas Cruz opened fire at the school Wednesday, Feb. 14, 2018. (Lisa Jackson Nesmith via AP)

The University of Connecticut sent a posthumous letter of admission on Feb. 21 to the family of a student killed in the Parkland, Florida, mass school shooting. The student was offered admission into the School of Fine Arts as a music major, according to UConn spokesperson Stephanie Reitz.

Alex Schachter, 14-years-old, was a freshman trombone and baritone player for Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School’s marching band and orchestra. Schachter often wore a UConn hoodie and dreamed of attending the university, the Florida Sun-Sentinel reported.

Schachter’s late mother and cousin both attended UConn, his uncle, Paul Goldberg, told the Sun-Sentinel.

“That’s why Alex loved UConn, because his mom went there,” Goldberg said.

UConn spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said that a personal note was given with the admissions letter for Schachter’s family by Nathan Fuerst, UConn’s director of undergraduate admissions.

“It’s clear that Alex, his classmates and his teachers were all very loved in their school and community, and that he would have made UConn very proud as a student here,” Reitz said. “We’re so sorry that we will not get the chance to know him and hope this gesture provides at least a small measure of comfort for his friends and family.”

Fuerst extended his condolences to the Schachter family in the note and commended Schachter for his exceptional talent, character and leadership qualities in his undergraduate letter of admissions.

“We were touched by his love for music and for his love of UConn…Alex will always be remembered, and for us, forever a UConn Husky,” Fuerst wrote.

In an effort to honor Schachter’s memory, his family started a GoFundMe page to raise money to help other students experience the joys of music and increase school security nationwide, according to the Schachter family’s fundraising page.

“The money raised will be sent to The Stoneman Douglas Marching Eagles and be utilized for the purposes mentioned above,” the fundraising page said. “Thank you all for your support and generosity.”

The GoFundMe page can be found at https://www.gofundme.com/lifeislikearollercoaster.

Kristina Carretero is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kristina.carretero@uconn.edu.