Supreme Court declines to hear DACA case

FILE - In this Jan. 23, 2018, file photo, immigration advocates hold a rally on Capitol Hill in Washington. The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday, Feb. 26, 2018, denied the Trump administration's unusual request to overrule a judge who kept alive a program that shields young immigrants from deportation. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File)

The Supreme Court declined to hear an appeal by the Trump Administration to the injunctions issued by federal justices against its ending of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program Monday morning.

The administration previously announced March 5 as the deadline for DACA. This would have meant that the government would stop accepting renewal applications, and anyone whose status has expired would lose federal protections against deportation.

Federal justices in California and New York have issued injunctions that effectively block the government from ending its protections nationwide earlier this year.

According to the Washington Examiner, this move will allow over 500,000 “Dreamers” to renew their DACA status.

The Supreme Court said the case must make its usual route through lower appeals courts before it will consider hearing it.

Natalia Rojas, a senior journalism and communications major and Daily Campus copy editor who benefits from DACA, said the Supreme Court’s decision is a relief, but it is not a permanent fix.

“Though this is a relief for many DACA recipients, it will not stop deportations from happening,” Rojas said. “We need a Dream Act and we need it now.”

Rojas said DACA does not seem to be a legislative priority for Congress.

“There's so much going on in this country and DACA does not seem to be their top priority,” Rojas said. “For a while now, they've been saying they have so much time to take care of DACA and the deadline is next week. They could(n’t) care less what happens to us.”

Rojas said she has found a supportive community for the dreamers at UConn in the months since President Trump announced he would be rolling back DACA.

“I told everyone my (immigration) status through a Her Campus article in response to Trump's initial repeal. I received tons of support and reassurance that I will be okay,” Rojas said. “I've met a few other DACA recipients on campus, and they've been such a great support system these past few months.” 

Rojas said she believes the Dreamers will continue to put pressure on legislators until they pass a renewed form of the Dream Act.

“I think eventually they will have no choice but to pass a Dream Act,” Rojas said. “The Dreamers are fighters, they will not stop fighting. And as the Dreamers say, ‘I believe that we will win.’”

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at She tweets @ZarraAnna.