Spring Fashion: A return to the past to make your look for the future

Now comes the hard part: exchanging your oversized sweaters and big boots for some lighter clothes. Luckily, trends in spring fashion are looking adorable with a modern twist on the best styles of the 80s and 90s. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

With temperatures already hanging around 50 degrees most days, it’s clear that this painfully cold winter is finally reaching an end. Now comes the hard part: exchanging your oversized sweaters and big boots for some lighter clothes. Luckily, trends in spring fashion are looking adorable with a modern twist on the best styles of the 80s and 90s.

While some of the clothes displayed on designer runways seem imposing or impractical, they provide great insight on the more lowkey looks that will be sold in stores this spring. Women’s Wear Daily broke the latest designer clothing into several main trends. Colors tended to be either incredibly saturated or pastel. Fabrics came in sheer, satin, tulle, denim, fringe and mixed print, so basically the same type of materials as Forever 21 has been selling all winter long. 90s-esqu anorak jackets are also very popular on the runway, as well as multi-pocketed utilitarian clothes. Designers also seem to favor the stars and stripes Americana look and the more traditional floral Japonica vibe.

Most of the clothes from the runway would be a little strange to wear to class, but the toned-down versions explored by the Huffington Post would be more than acceptable. For tops they talked about cute satin, sheer blouses and belted coats. For shoes, they recommended gorgeous kitten heels, white oxfords and woven flats. For bottoms they said asymmetrical skirts and high-waist trousers. Accessories included bucket bags and geometric earrings. Patterns were mainly stripes and more springy colors like lavender. This fresh look will help you come to terms with the tragic heat of the upcoming months, and accept that frostbite and icy hands are a thing of the past.

Even if your clothes are on point for this spring, you shouldn’t just stop there. Hair and makeup are just as important.

If you haven’t heard, scrunchies have come back with a vengeance. Pastel or patterned ones is especially adorable and can make your look this spring. Short and shaggy or unkempt hair are very popular this year. Parted to the side, rolled and twisted buns are also very in. Longer hair has also been done frequently in messy, loose waves or with a tiny braid or two put in. Stylists are recommending women to sleep with their hair in wet braids, so that in the morning hey can let loose a head of stylish waves.

Makeup has been appearing in two main ways: incredibly light or intensely heavy. Light makeup can mean flushed lips with brushed up eyebrows or kick-flare lashes with a natural lipstick on. Heavy makeup tends to be bright red lipstick, smoky eyes or vibrant eyeshadows. This season either fresh-faced or in-your-face will be the perfect way to complete your new look.

Campus isn’t a runway, but if you think you look good, then you’ll feel good, and that can go a long way in a stressful semester.

Rebecca Maher is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rebecca.maher@uconn.edu.