USG election first day exit polling shows no apparent write-in opposition for joint president/vice president ticket, close competition for comptroller

A student enjoys an oatmeal cookie at the joint elections tabling event in the Student Union Tuesday afternoon. The table will be there from 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday. (Nicholas Hampton/The Daily Campus) 

There was no apparent write-in candidate to oppose the joint president/vice president ticket. Exit polling showed a much tighter race for comptroller of the University Student Government (USG) election on the first day of voting on Tuesday, according to polling done by the Daily Campus.

Polling was conducted at the USG tabling location on Union Street in the Student Union from noon to 4 p.m. on Tuesday. Of the 96 voters at the location, just over half (54) opted to reply to the survey in which voters were asked to report who they voted for.

Joint president/vice president ticket candidates Ama Appiah and Wawa Gatheru entered the race unopposed by any declared candidates for president and vice president, according to the University of Connecticut’s voting website vote.uconn.edu. They could still face possible competition from any write-in candidates.

At the end of voting at the tabling location, comptroller candidate Priyanka Thakkar held 40.74 percent of the vote with comptroller candidate Richa Jain close behind at 35.19 percent—the two only separated by a few votes.

A third candidate for comptroller, Leyla Phanor, garnered fewer votes than the other two candidates in the exit polling with 18.52 percent of reported votes.  

Eighth-semester mechanical engineering major Jordan Rivera said that he is surprised so few candidates appear on the ballot this semester.

“I was shocked that there was only one option for president and vice president,” Rivera said. “I thought it was going to be a lot more competitive and I’m upset that there isn’t a real election taking place here.”

Students can vote from anywhere through the online voting website at vote.uconn.edu until Thursday at noon.

Andrew Miano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at andrew.miano@uconn.edu.