Women’s Lacrosse: Huskies win first road game

The UConn women's lacrosse team has won their second consecutive contest. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

After defeating the University of New Hampshire (2-3) 16-8 on Wednesday, the UConn women’s lacrosse team won their second game in a row.

The eight-goal win was the largest margin of victory this season for the Huskies.

Three different UConn (3-2) players scored hat-tricks in the game.

Twenty-nine seconds into the game junior attacker Caitlin Leary scored. Right after that, however, the Wildcats notched back-to-back goals to take the lead. The Huskies pushed back and were able to tie the game up with back-to-back goals from senior midfielder Kelsey Catalano and freshman midfielder Sydney Watson.

With another goal by Leary, UConn was able to take the lead.

With six minutes still left to play in the first UConn led 7-5 and Leary had a hat trick. Not long after that, Catalano got a hat trick of her own to make the score 8-6 with UConn in front.

To complete the set, senior attacker Grace Nolan completed a hat-trick of her own, doubling UNH’s score 12-6.

By the time UConn reached 13 points, Leary had set a career high in goals with five. Leary has 14 goals so far this season. Leary totaled 11 goals overall last season.

Nolan also hit a season high in points with eight off of five goals and three assists.

Sophomore goalkeeper Grace Beshlian had nine saves in the game.

Watson won eight draw controls for UConn and junior defenseman Kiera Dalmass scooped up a team-leading four ground balls in the game.

The Huskies play next against UMass on Saturday at the George J. Sherman Sports Complex in Storrs.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.