Alpha Kappa Slambda: Basketball For the Kids

The Hugh S. Greer Fieldhouse hosted the 4th annual Alpha Kappa Slambda basketball tournament on Sunday morning. (Chilli Head/Flickr Creatice Commons)

The Hugh S. Greer Fieldhouse hosted the 4th annual Alpha Kappa Slambda basketball tournament on Sunday morning. Thirty-five teams competed to raise money for HuskyTHON, an all-night dance fundraiser for Connecticut Children’s Medical Center. With the fundraiser only 12 days away, former Alpha Kappa Lambda president Kristian Schif stressed the need for Huskython: “You have to give everything you can while you can. We are in a special time when we can give back and we need to take advantage of it.”

This is another successful year for AKL’s basketball tournament, which raises hundreds of dollars each year for HuskyTHON. The players did not allow Saturday night festivities to get in the way of Sunday morning’s event as participation and spirits were high. In the women’s bracket, Gamma Phi Beta emerged victorious and in the men’s division, Sigma Phi Epsilon took home top place.

With the highs of winning also come the pains of defeat, highlighted by junior Joey DiPietro following a first round loss to the eventual champions Sig Ep: “We got off to an early 4-1 lead but they started feeding their big man and we couldn’t do anything about it. I had a chance to tie the game at the end but I missed it.” The Fieldhouse was chock full of the spirit of competition and the environment makes it a can’t-miss event in the future for any basketball fans.

Alpha Kappa Slambda is just one event in a huge effort across UConn to raise money for Huskython. The event is the largest student-run philanthropy event in the state, raising $836,174.52 in 2017 alone. Huskython’s catchphrase, “All in for the kids, all in for the million,” sets a high bar for this year’s event and a massive effort will be needed to achieve seven figures.

Looking forward, there are many ways to get involved with HuskyTHON fundraising before the 17th. On Monday night at 9 p.m., there is a Bar Night Fundraiser at Ted’s hosted by the Dancing Queens team; Thursday Feb. 8 is HuskyTHON’s “Day of Strength,” where participants plan on raising $130,000 in a 24-hour period; and Sunday Feb. 11 is Zumbathon at the Rec Center. The HuskyTHON website has more details for these events. Alpha Kappa Slambda, and other Greek philanthropy events like Delta Gamma’s Anchor Slam are perfect examples of organizations using their position at UConn to make positive changes in the community.

Teddy Craven is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at edward.craven_jr@uconn.edu.