Cultural centers create new events for the spring semester

As the spring semester begins, the cultural centers at the University of Connecticut are preparing for a wide variety of events from the RuPaul Drag Race show to Latin Fest. (The Daily Campus/file photo)

As the spring semester begins, the cultural centers at the University of Connecticut are preparing for a wide variety of events from the RuPaul Drag Race show to Latin Fest.

The Asian American Cultural Center (AsACC) seeks to spread cultural awareness and expose students to new ideas, Tiffany Hsu eighth-semester chemical engineering major, one of the cultural center student programmers, said.

Hsu said that she is most looking forward to the annual Asian Nite performance, which will be held on March 23.

“That’s going to be one of the last performances I’m going to see,” Hsu said.

Hsu said she is also looking forward to a visit from author Viet Thanh Nguyen, and who wrote “The Refugees” and “The Sympathizers,” on April 10. In addition, The cultural center will also celebrate its 25th anniversary on April 8, Hsu said.

“Anyone can come by and celebrate...enjoy food and meet new people,” Hsu said.

Students who participate in AsACC do their own research regarding potential events over the summer, with the assistance of AsACC director Angela Rola and Assistant Director Sheila Kucko, Hsu said.

The Women’s Center recently launched its Men’s Project, according to their site.

“The purpose of the project is to identify and train individuals who may be seen as having influence with their peers,” the website said.

A weekly event which the center hosts is “Between Women” a discussion group for queer or questioning women, according to the website. More upcoming events can be found online.

The Puerto Rican/Latin American Cultural center (PRLACC) will hold its annual Latin Fest on April 14 at the Jorgensen Center for Performing Arts, according to PRLACC’s website. Notable past performers have included Marc Anthony, Millie Quezada and Tito Nieves.

“This event celebrates Latino cultures and consists of lots of good dancing, food, and friends!” according to PRLACC’s website.

The Native American Cultural Programs will hold its Powwow this semester, according to their website. Students are asked to email ncap@uconn.edu for more questions.

The African American Cultural Center will celebrate Black History Month in February, according to their website.

“The Black History Month Opening and Closing Ceremonies are among the Center’s signature programs and represent just a small portion of the events of the month,” according to their website.

The Rainbow Center has a lecture series called “Out to Lunch.” The last lecture was “packed” according to William Malavé professional staff. There is a class component to it, Malavé said. The lecture topics can be found online via the cultural center website.The topics range from homelessness in the community to television portrayal, Malavé said.

The center will also host the annual Drag Show on March 23, Malavé said.

“It always has been a performer from the...RuPaul Drag Race show,” Malavé said.

Malavé said he could not disclose the headliner at the time of the interview. He added that his favorite event of the semester was the drag show.

“I’m excited because everyone else is excited about it,” Malavé said.

Kimberly Nguyen is the associate managing editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kimberly.nguyen@uconn.edu.