Students brave bitter cold for One Ton Sundae

Students line up on the Student Union Patio for One Ton Sundae on Friday, February 2. SUBOG sponsored the event where students can fill bucket of Dairy Bar ice cream for $1. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

One Ton Sundae is an event to end all events for ice cream lovers. At 11 a.m. Friday, SUBOG gave away actual buckets to be filled to the top with ice cream for the low low price of $1. Despite the below-freezing weather, just before the start time, the line for this immense sundae stretched from the Student Union terrace all the way to the road out back, with more filing in every minute. Seniors especially were enticed to take part in this tradition, as their ice cream would be free.

The people at the approximate halfway mark of the line had already been there for 30 to 40 minutes. They would remain in this line until past noon. When three freshmen shivering in this part of the line were asked why they even wanted ice cream in this weather, they all acted as if the cold means nothing when so much ice cream is at stake.

“I have a problem with ice cream, I love it so much,” second semester HDFS and theater studies major Julius Cruz said.

“(Something) everybody has to do is the one ton sundae. Also, I want to cross it off my bucket list,” second semester pre-teaching major Kaitlyn McGuire said.

“I’m very cold, but it’s definitely worth it for the ice cream,” second semester theater studies major Dorryen Sceviour said.

Minutes before the event officially started, eighth semester accounting major Rebecca Shepherd stood eagerly at the very front of the line. She had been in line since 8:30 a.m., and seemed very excited to get her ice cream and duck back inside a warm building.

“It’s gonna be worth it cause of ice cream,” Shepherd said despite having stood in a freezing wind tunnel for the better part of two and a half hours. When asked if she had participated in One Ton Sundae before, she said, “Once last year, yes, but it was a lot longer (of a) wait.”

“Faces are frozen, but it’s all for the kids so it’s okay. And it’s a tradition, who doesn’t want to be part of a tradition?” fourth semester ecology and evolutionary biology major Rachel Wolther said, just as 11 a.m. hit. She was quick to follow Shepherd over to the vats of ice cream just ahead.

All the way at the very back of the line, a hike away from the terrace, stood second semester animal science major Laura Furtak.

“Not so good,” Furtak said when asked how it feels to be at the back of the line. “No idea (how long until she would get her ice cream), hopefully not too long.”

Even from her position in the vast line for the One Ton Sundae she responded positively when asked if her long wait in the cold would be worth it.

“Yeah I think so. I like ice cream.”

By the end of her interview, three more people had taken the long trek all the way to the back to join her in the exciting tradition of the One Ton Sundae.

Rebecca Maher is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rebecca.maher@uconn.edu.