UConn Women’s Ice Hockey Makes it Four in a Row

218.JPG

It was only two weeks ago that the women’s ice hockey team was struggling to find their way to victory.

Even with an outstanding goaltender like senior Annie Belanger, plenty of scoring chances, and many times, goals, the Huskies efforts would fall short and with it came a 7-11-8 record.

It put the Huskies at the bottom of the Hockey East standings.

But in the past two weekends, the Huskies have elevated their game, beating two ranked teams and making their overall record 11-11-8

Junior Leah Lum had three assists against Northeastern and sophomore Briana Colangelo had two goals, including an OT goal that ultimately would give the Huskies the win against Providence.

Special teams are killing the penalties and goaltenders Morgan Fisher and Belanger divided the weekend and racked up 65 saves between them.

Belanger was the Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week.

All good signs that the team is playing their most effective hockey yet and as a result, this is the longest winning streak since the 2014-2015 season.

Junior Nora Maclaine said that after their Northeastern game, this team is headed in the right direction for the final stretch of the season.

“We have had a lot of potential all year and I’m really happy it’s starting to pick up now and I think we can keep the streak going for the rest of the season with five games left,” Maclaine said.

She also said the games against Providence always came down to the last minutes. And She was right.

On Saturday the Huskies had 26 shots, but it took until overtime for Colangelo to score the winning goal. Colangelo, assisted by Knutson, scored backhand in front to down Providence.

“I think a lot of the games that you are going to see now are going to be like this one,” Mackenzie said after the Northeastern game. “One goal games right till the end and hard fought battles.”

The team has gained experience throughout the season as Mackenzie points out. The special teams are now one of the strengths of the teams.

On Friday the team scored two power play goals and killed five penalties. On Saturday against Providence they killed three out four penalties and on the only one they didn’t, the Friars scored.

UConn’s next opponent is Vermont, the team that opened their conference play back in October and the Huskies lost 2-1.

Daniela Marulanda is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at daniela.marulanda@uconn.edu.