Women’s Hockey: UConn Sweeps Weekend

The UConn Huskies faced off against the Providence Friars in the Freitas Ice Forum on  Saturday, Feb. 3. After tailing for the first period, the Huskies bring the game to a tie. The Huskies win 3-2 in overtime. (John Sammis/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s hockey team (11-11-8, 5-10-5 WHEA) found success this weekend as they beat both Northeastern and Providence at home.

On Friday, the Huskies had a 3-1 win over Northeastern, (13-13-3, 9-10-2 WHEA) with three different Huskies scoring. The win snapped UConn’s 25-game winless streak against Northeastern.

Freshmen Natalie Snodgrass and Taylor Wabick both scored on power plays. Junior Kayla Mee got an empty net goal in the final period.

Senior Leah Lum tallied three assists, giving her 55 for her career.  

After the game, UConn head coach Chris MacKenzie said the game came down to special teams.

“(It was) a hard-fought game, came down to special teams, goaltending,” MacKenzie said in an interview posted on the team’s website. “We were able to capitalize on power plays.”

MacKenzie also said he thinks the rest of the games this season will look a lot like Friday’s game.

“I think a lot of games you’re going to see now are going to be just like this one,” MacKenzie said. “One-goal games right to the end and hard-fought battles.”

MacKenzie also noted experience being a big factor in UConn’s win.

“I think it’s just experience, preparing the team a certain way where everyone has their role and they are comfortable in it,” said MacKenzie. “We’re executing. At the start of the year, the bounces weren’t going our way, but now they are so we want to keep up that momentum.”

The next day, the Huskies took on No. 9 Providence (14-11-6, 10-7-4). UConn won the game 3-2 thanks to an overtime goal from Briana Colangelo. The victory extends the Huskies’ win streak to four.

In the second period, senior Theresa Knutson scored the first goal. Later, Colangelo scored once before scoring the game winner in overtime.

Next weekend, the Huskies head to Burlington, to take on Vermont in a double-header.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.