Melissa's Menu: Hash Brown Breakfast Cups

This week on Melissa's Menu is a hash brown breakfast cup—the perfect solution for when you're in the mood for a fancy breakfast but don't feel like going out. (Screenshot courtesy of Tasty)

Are you ever in the mood for a fancy breakfast but don’t feel like going out? This week’s recipe, hash brown breakfast cups, is the perfect solution. They’re not only delicious but also super easy to make! They’re everything you want in a breakfast, all wrapped up in a tiny cup of goodness.

Ingredients: (for 12 cups)

• 20 oz frozen shredded hash brown, thawed
  • 1 ¼ cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 12 eggs
  • Salt, to taste
  • Pepper, to taste
  • Tomato, diced
  • Avocado, diced
  • Bacon crumbles

Directions

In a bowl, combine hash browns, one cup of cheddar, salt, pepper and olive oil. Divide the hash brown mixture into the cups of a 12-cup muffin tin. Press the hash browns down firmly along the shape of the cups. Bake at 400 degrees fahrenheit for about 20 minutes to set the cups. Crack an egg into each cup and sprinkle some salt, pepper and the remaining cheddar on top. Bake again at 350 degrees fahrenheit for 13-15 minutes, or until the egg whites have set. After they have cooled, remove cups by running a knife along their edges. Top with bacon, avocado, tomato or any other desired toppings.

Making a breakfast that involves more than just cereal or making toast can seem intimidating, but it’s not hard at all to step it up and make a really satisfying breakfast that’s still really simple. This recipe is a perfect example; it’s got potato, cheese, egg and any fresh toppings of your choice within one small cup and only takes a few minutes to prepare. This is definitely a breakfast that’ll leave you ready to take on whatever the day brings you!

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.