Around the American: Women's basketball edition

The Huskies take on Cincinnati at the XL Center on February 4. With a particularly impressive third quarter, UConn won with a final score of 106 to 65. (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

Beside UConn’s 106-65 romp over Cincinnati on Sunday, there were other impressive games in the American Athletic Conference this past weekend.

On Saturday, the second best team in the American, USF, beat Tulane 63-53. Coached by Jose Fernandez, who is in his 17th season with the team, USF has produced great players such as WNBA player Courtney Williams.

The win on Saturday was USF’s third-straight success. The team now stands at 18-5 overall and 8-2 in the American.

Tulane is 11-12 overall and 3-7 in the American.

The game was not an easy one for USF as the team trailed for the first 17 minutes of the game.

The star of the game was Maria Jesperson, a senior forward, who scored 25 points in her third- straight 20-plus-points outing.

The Bulls made great use of fouls as they earned 25 points from the stripe.

Another Saturday game in the American was UCF beating Memphis 61-41.

UCF is 16-7 overall and 8-2 in the American. Beating Memphis bumps the Knights’ winning streak up to five. UCF held Memphis to its third lowest outing of the season.

The star of the game was redshirt senior Zakiya Saunders, who scored 20 points to lead all scorers.

The Knights are coached by Katie Abrahamson-Henderson, who joined the team in 2016.

On Saturday, Houston beat Wichita State 73-62 to sweep the season series. Houston currently ranks third in the American. The Cougars are 18-6 overall and 7-3 in conference play.

The game was a comeback for Houston, who persevered through a nine-point deficit.

The star of the game was Jasmyne Harris, whose three-pointer in the first quarter was the 179th three-pointer made for the Cougars this season. The three-pointer set a new program record for most three-pointers in a season. Harris also scored 24 points for her 15th consecutive double-digit game.

As the post-season nears, all eyes will be on the first few standings in the American to see who will get a place in the NCAA tournament.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.