UConn field hockey star arrested for theft

Veitner was arrested for trying to steal $34 worth of cosmetics from the bookstore. (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

University of Connecticut field hockey player Charlotte Veitner, 22, was arrested Sunday morning and charged with sixth-degree larceny, according to a UConn police report, after attempting to shoplift from the UConn Bookstore.

Veitner attempted to steal $34.48 worth of cosmetics from the bookstore and was caught “concealing cosmetics in a shoulder bag,” according to the report. Along with the stolen cosmetics, Veitner purchased one item.  

By Connecticut law, shoplifting is constituted as sixth-degree larceny if the items stolen amount to less than $250. 

The report said Veitner was caught on the security camera leaving the store and was stopped by the store’s loss prevention staff. Veitner was released on $1,500 non-surety bail and is due in court on Feb. 14 at 9 a.m.

Veitner, a senior originally from Germany, is the all-time program leader in goals and assists, according to the UConn field hockey website. 

Veitner was one of four Division I nominated for the Honda Sports Award for field hockey this past year and is a three-time First-Team All American, according to the website. Veitner was also chosen as National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA) Division I Mideast Regional Player of the Year.

Veitner helped lead UConn toward finishing as Division I’s second-highest scoring offense, averaging 4.24 goals per game. 

Veitner played a key role in bringing the UConn field hockey team to an NCAA national championship and an undefeated season in 2017, directly contributing to 43 percent of UConn’s goals this season. 

Veitner earned over 15 field hockey awards during her collegiate career at UConn, according to the website.

Abby Brone is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at abigail.brone@uconn.edu.