‘Fifty Shades Freed’ Soundtrack brings more sultry romantic hits similar to its predecessors

From left to right, Eric Johnson, Rita Ora, Jamie Dornan, E.L. James, a guest, Dakota Johnson, and James Foley pose during a photocall for the world premiere of 'Fifty Shades Freed - 50 Nuances Plus Claires' at Salle Pleyel in Paris, Tuesday, Feb. 6, 2018. (AP Photo/Francois Mori)

With every new ‘Fifty Shades’ movie comes a soundtrack full of sultry, romantic, slow pop songs. The ‘Fifty Shades Freed’ soundtrack is no exception. Stars like Liam Payne, Rita Ora, Julia Michaels and Hailee Steinfeld are all featured on the album. Just like the artists before them, they all sing about desire, love and passion; exactly what you’d expect from the soundtrack of a movie trilogy that’s also all about lust and love. Based on the singles that have been released, it seems very similar to the two albums to come before it.

The first main single from the album is “Capital Letters” by Hailee Steinfeld with BloodPop®, the latter of which famously worked with Justin Bieber for his single “Friends.” The second main single is “For You (Fifty Shades Freed)” by Liam Payne and Rita Ora. “Capital Letters” is a more upbeat, happy song about finding love, while “For You” emulates the more lustful and romantic theme of the films.

“Heaven” by Julia Michaels is personally my favorite single to be released so far. Michael’s raw and emotional voice and the darker tone this ballad has fits perfectly with the “Fifty Shades” ambiance. Just like many of the songs that have been on the “Fifty Shades” soundtracks, the song is about passionate love. “Heaven” in particular seems as if it was made for the movie, especially in the chorus when Michaels sings “They say all good boys go to heaven/But bad boys bring heaven to you.”

The other singles that have been released are “Never Tear Us Apart” by Bishop Briggs, which is another passionate and sexy ballad and “The Wolf” by The Spencer Lee Band, which focuses on animalistic desire. Once again, as Briggs sings about “Two worlds colliding” in “Never Tear Us Apart,” it seems like this song is a perfect fit for Christian and Ana’s love story.

Other artists featured on the album include Sia, Jessie J and Sabrina Claudio. The biggest curveball the album throws is a single by actor Jamie Dornan, aka Christian Gray, himself. Dornan was actually a musician before becoming an actor, and according to director James Foley, "He is an incredibly good singer… he sang a lot on set. He sings in three, but it's a surprise."

The “Fifty Shades” soundtracks have brought us many successful hits such as the Weeknd’s “Earned It,” Zayn and Taylor Swift’s “I Don’t Wanna Live Forever,” and Ellie Goulding’s “Love Me Like You Do,” which actually reappears on “Fifty Shades Freed,” and they all follow the same formula as far as theme and sound goes. Personally, I don’t know if the singles from this album will match the success of the ones before it. They aren’t bad, they are actually pretty good, but there isn’t much that is special about them. In the days since their release they seem to have been slightly overlooked. This could change, but they just don’t seem to have the buzz surrounding them that the older singles had.

Overall, the album is exactly what you would expect. Every song is slightly unique in its sound but has pretty much the same message. They are all about love, passion, etc. just like the movie. It’s a little repetitive, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t some quality songs. “Fifty Shades Freed” and its soundtrack will be released on Feb. 9 and are sure to put you in a romantic mood just in time for Valentine’s Day.

Rating: 3.5/5

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.