Husky Adapted welcomes gold-medalist

(Matt Barresi/The Daily Campus)

The day of the opening ceremonies of the Pyeonchang games, a Gold medal winner will be in Storrs to share their story.

Steve Serio was co-captain and helped lead the USA Men's National Wheelchair Basketball team to a gold medal at the 2016 Rio Paralympic games. Serio will be on campus to speak on Feb. 8 at 7 p.m. in Gentry 144.

Serio’s appearance is being organized by Husky Adapted Sport, which was founded in the Spring of 2017 and “aims to promote diversity and inclusiveness on campus through the creation of adapted sport opportunities for students with disabilities.” This past fall semester, the organization held a wheelchair basketball clinic as well.

It was that clinic, which was held in conjunction with the Ryan Martin Foundation, that led to a connection with Serio.

“(Steve) is well known and respected in Paralympic sports and therefore one of the most qualified people to bring awareness to our organization,” said Husky Adapted President Kenisha Lee.

Serio is a Mineola, New York native and played Wheelchair Basketball at the University of Illinois. He participated in 2008 and 2012 Paralympic games, where the team came in fourth and third respectively. The 2016 gold medal was the program’s first since 1988. Serio also won an ESPY in 2017 for Best Male Athlete with a Disability.

“The audience will learn what it’s like to be a Paralympic athlete at the highest level and how it’s important for universities like UConn to have adaptive sports programs,” says Lee.