New pizza to debut at Student Union Monday

The Union Street Market in the Student Union will be featuring new pizza soon. (Charlotte Lao/ The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut will begin serving pizza made with a new recipe at Union Street Market starting Monday.

Culinary Operations Manager Rob Landolphi said students wanted a pizza crust that was chewier and crispier, so Dining Services is now using a high-gluten flour and a pinch of sugar in the dough.

“It browns up better. It’s got a better mouth feel [and] chew to it,” Landolphi said.

The new pizza will be topped with a blend of mozzarella, sharp provolone, parmesan, romano and monteray jack cheeses which will make it more flavorful, Landolphi said.  

“The cheese definitely makes a difference,” Landolphi said. “Because its more of a blend, it’s got definitely a lot more flavor, but it’s also got a little bit of a buttery taste.”

Dining Services conducted a blind taste test between the new pizza, the old pizza and one made with just canned tomato sauce and mozzarella. Landolphi said student taste tasters almost unanimously preferred the new pizza.  

“It was amazing to me how many kids came back and said, ‘oh, yeah, we really like (the new one),’” Landolphi said.

Landolphi said that when Dining Services began exploring the possibility of changing its pizza, they looked at the recipes from restaurants and other colleges across the country.

“We noticed a lot of them weren’t doing straight mozzarella,” Landolphi said. “If everyone else is doing it, it might be something we want to jump on board [with].”  

Landolphi said the pizza is made with “clean” ingredients from the dough to the garlic olive oil that is brushed onto the dough to the oregano that is sprinkled on top.  

“It’s clean, but it’s just high quality and it’s got so much flavor,” Landolphi said.

Landolphi said Dining Services would not have changed the pizza, which has always sold well, if students had not responded so positively to the new recipe.

“I think we had a really good pizza to start with… and now… I think we’ve really brought it up a notch,” he said.

Landolphi said he thinks the new pizza will be popular.

“I think people are really going to enjoy this pizza,” Landolphi said. “Hopefully this will be the pizza that will be here for a while.”

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.