Thirsty Thursday: Black Velvet

For this week’s Thirsty Thursday, we will be taking you back in time with the Black Velvet cocktail. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

For this week’s Thirsty Thursday, we will be taking you back in time with the Black Velvet cocktail. This easy beer and champagne cocktail comes with a unique history, dating all the way back to Victorian England. According to legend, the Black Velvet was originally created in 1891 in a London pub. The drink was served while the country while still mourning the death of Queen Victoria’s husband, Prince Albert. The color of the drink is supposedly meant to emulate the black and velvet armbands that would be worn during the time of mourning. About 150 years later, this drink is better known for its delicious flavor rather than its melancholy conception.

Ingredients:

Stout Beer

Champagne

Pour your champagne into the glass, filling it about halfway. What type of glass you use is up to you, but for a more authentic take on this recipe consider using a glass made for champagne or beer. Take a spoon, and slowly pour the beer over the back of the spoon. By pouring it over the spoon, the stout should run down the side of the glass, causing the two liquids to separate. Don’t be too disheartened if you don’t get it on the first try, this step is tricky and serves a mostly aesthetic purpose.

I was a bit skeptical of this drink when I first heard that we would be mixing beer and champagne, but our Black Velvet far surpassed my expectations as soon as I took a sip. Not only was this historical drink delicious, but it was cheap—making it a perfect companion to a long night of studying or your next pregame.

Thirsty Thursday is created by of-age students in the Daily Campus Life section. Recommendations can be sent to life@dailycampus.com. We will respond if sober.