Elect Her aims to demystify campaign process

Elect Her and events like it are sure to help women feel more equipped to enter the political world, ensuring more equal representation in the United States government and beyond.(Facebook/UConn Women's Center)

With midterm elections just around the corner, Elect Her at the University of Connecticut aims to help equip women with the skills and techniques to run for office both inside and outside of college. Women have always played a significant role in politics, but they are still greatly outnumbered by men. In an increasingly contentious political climate in the United States, women may be more inclined to run for office. Elect Her intends to give female-identified students a chance to learn how to prepare for their own campaign.

Elect Her will take place later today from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Women’s Center. According to Kathy Fisher, Associate Director at the Women’s Center, the event aims to “demystify the campaign process and teach folks how to develop and communicate an effective message, how to reach out to their constituency and how to win a campaign” for women who might want to run for office at any point in their lives.

Elect Her does not plan to just impart election techniques to women, but will also give attendees a chance to network. Networking can be an incredibly difficult task, but it is vital for any job—especially  one in politics. It can be challenging, especially with a busy college schedule, to begin to build a business relationship with a politician, but Elect Her promises to give attendees a head start on the networking process. According to the Elect Her webpage, those who attend Elect Her will get to network with Connecticut women who currently hold office. It states on their website that State Senator Mae Flexer will serve as the keynote speaker, ensuring that attendees will have a chance to see first-hand what it takes to be a female elected official in Connecticut.

Running for election both inside and outside of college can be a difficult task, but Fischer believes Elect Her can be incredibly helpful for women who want a little help or insight on how to effectively run a campaign.

“We help participants to identify issues that are important to them, what their platform might be and how to build their networks,” Fischer said.  

While the event is primarily targeted toward female identifiers, Fischer stated that anyone who is interested is welcome to attend.

“The focus is on women identified students and challenges they may encounter and how to overcome them,” Fischer said. “However, it is open to anyone who would like to attend.”

If you are interested in attending the event later today, you can register online through the Women’s Center website. Space is limited, but Fischer said there are still spots available for those who would like to attend.

Elect Her and events like it are sure to help women feel more equipped to enter the political world, ensuring more equal representation in the United States government and beyond.

Lauren Brown is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lauren.brown@uconn.edu.