Women's Lacrosse: Huskies head to Orange to open season

The Huskies will be playing Syracuse, who was ranked seventh in the IWCLA poll released Jan. 29. The Orange were also picked to finish second in the ACC behind North Carolina. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s lacrosse team will open up their 2018 season on Friday afternoon at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, New York.

This season, the Huskies have six seniors leading the squad including attacker Grace Nolan and defender Cassie Ekstrom. Both Nolan and Ekstrom were named to the pre-season all-conference team. This was Nolan’s third season in a row being named to the team in addition to her being a unanimous selection.

Last season, Nolan led the conference in scoring with 4.81 points-per-game. She led the Huskies in points (77), goals (44), assists (33) and free position goals (10). She was also ranked second in UConn’s record book for points scored in a single season (77).

Ekstrom led the team in both caused turnovers (25) and ground balls (40) last season. She was also named as an Inside Lacrosse Division 1 Pre-Season All-American Honorable Mention. Last season, Ekstrom was named to the IWCLA- All Northeast Region Second Team. In addition,  last season she was ranked fourth among Big East leaders, averaging 2.50 ground balls per contest.

UConn’s team as a whole was picked to finish fifth in the conference behind Florida, Denver, Georgetown, and Temple.

UConn is coached by Katie Woods who is entering her eighth season with the Huskies. Woods has a 73-45 record at UConn and has been named a Big East Coach of the Year two times (2013, 2015).

The Huskies will be playing Syracuse, who was ranked seventh in the IWCLA poll released Jan. 29. The Orange were also picked to finish second in the ACC behind North Carolina.

Five players from Syracuse’s squad were named to the Inside Lacrosse Pre-Season All-American team. Two players were selected for the third team and two players were named honorable mentions.

One of those players was senior attacker Riley Donahue who was the Orange’s leading scorer last season with 68 points.

Syracuse is coached by lacrosse hall of famer Gary Gait, who boasts a 150-48 record with the squad. 

The Huskies will host their home opener on Valentine’s Day when they take on Fairfield at 3 p.m.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.