Critics Aren't Lying: 'Imposters' is one of the best shows to watch on Netflix

“Imposters” may have first aired on Bravo a year ago, but it made a splash when it was released on Netflix. The dramedy about three heartbroken victims who end up getting deeply involved with a con artist and her game will return in April with its second season.

The series scored a whopping 100 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, a 70 percent on Metacritic and a 7.8 on IMDb.

While the con artist trope is by no means a new one, Bravo nailed their series with a relatively young, unseen cast and a perfect blend of comedy and suspense. Starring Rob Heaps as Ezra, Parker Young as Richard, Marianne Rendón as Jules and Inbar Lavi as the conniving Maddie, the show opens with Maddie marrying each of the previous three, under various false identities, for their wealth and then making away with their fortunes.

The plot is instantly compelling as these three unlikely friends join forces to try to get their money back, find closure for their broken hearts and bring Maddie to justice. The drama thickens as more characters show up and the trio delves deeper into Maddie’s past. At points, their detective skills and outwitting even the FBI gets a little unbelievable, but it is Bravo after all.

The series plays with your head. Allegiances change so quickly, you easily lose track of who is working with who and which characters you can trust. Likewise, with all the disguises and changing identities, it’s a challenge to even keep track of who is who. Up until the very last episode of the season, it’s very difficult to decide where your sympathy lies, which is the intention of the show. Even the alleged villains are likeable. It’s very psychologically involved but still remains lighthearted and fun.

“The cons are not just happening within stories, but we wanted to con the audience whenever possible,” Adam Brooks, one of the show’s executive producers, said during the show’s presentation at TCA. “It’s a show full of twist and turns.”

“One of the fun things [about a con-themed series] is that the rug can shift under the audience’s feet every now and then…. we wanted to have that reality where [audience’s sympathy] is constantly shifting,” Paul Adelstein, a second executive producer, said.

Another reason to watch is Uma Thurman, who guest stars as Lenny Cohen in the show. She expertly delivers the role of a lethal fixer. She is elusive and terrifyingly calm whenever she shows up, be it to break someone’s arm or to deliver threats over coffee. If Thurman shows up, you could be sure it isn’t to congratulate a character for a job well done. The series left off with her preparing to go on a manhunt on behalf of the mysterious “Doctor.”

Lavi does an excellent job as Maddie, the girl with a mysterious past and ever-changing identity. Obviously, her role demanded her to be versatile. She had to play a character that each of her three very different targets would plausibly fall in love with and remain hung up on. As “Imposters” was her breakout performance, I think we can be sure we’ll see much more of the Israeli actress in Hollywood.

“She’s hurt a lot of people, and she’s done a lot of things that are coming back to haunt her. What’s devastating to her is she has to go to sleep every night with this person and face herself in the mirror every day. She has to take responsibility for her actions, and this season, it’s going to confront her,” Lavi said. “For me as an actor it was a challenge because I had to dig in and say, ‘What is my guilt? What did I do?’ It kept me up. I think a lot of us hide it, close it off, and Maddie’s done that for a long time, but it’s time for her to face the music.”

All 10 episodes of the first season are available for streaming now on Netflix. The second season will premiere on Bravo on April 5 at 10 p.m.

Rating: 4.5 / 5

Julia Mancini is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at