Students to present their experiences from Germany UN Climate Meeting

Participants at the World Climate Conference working in front of the depiction of a globe in Bonn, Germany, Tuesday, Nov. 7, 2017. (Oliver Berg/dpa via AP)

University of Connecticut students are holding a Climate Change Cafe showcasing their experiences from the United Nations Climate Meeting in Germany, Hannah Casey, eighth-semester environmental studies major and event coordinator for the Cafe, said.

The Cafe will be held in the Student Union, Room 104, across from The Dairy Bar Too Wednesday, March 7, Casey said.

In November 2017, 14 students from UConn went to Bonn, Germany as part of the UConn@COP program. Students who attended the climate meeting, COP23, will have posters on display with information from the climate meeting and their experiences from the trip, Casey said.

There will not be formal presentations, Casey said. Attendees can walk up and talk to the presenters if they’re available.

“We want it to be more personal,” Casey said. “It shows (the students’) experiences better, and it will attract more people to go on future trips and learn about the stuff that people learned about (in Germany).”

Interns from the Office of Environmental Policy who went to the UN Climate Meeting in 2016, COP22, will also be at the event to answer any questions, Casey said. Students interested in attending the next COP can come to ask questions about how to apply and what to expect, she said.

The event is part of the ongoing Environmental Metanoia throughout the semester, Casey said. Many events will be held around Earth Day but the Climate Change Cafe is part of the environmental awareness.

The event will also be hosted as an Honors event, Casey said. Some environmental professors are also giving their students extra credit for attending, she said.

Students can walk in and leave when they want, and light refreshments will be provided, Casey said. People from the community are also welcome to attend.

“Stop by, even if it’s for five minutes,” Casey said. “It’s really cool to see all of the posters and everything that everyone was involved in there. Each experience is truly different from anything in the U.S.”

Nicholas Hampton is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at nicholas.hampton@uconn.edu.