This Week’s Pour: Tears of Green

While it isn’t a groundbreaking IPA, this beer is a unique take on the style and shows off a complex flavor profile that I haven’t found in many other brews. (Will Harris/The Daily Campus)

This week’s beer is Tears of Green by Captain Lawrence Brewing Company. I’m going to be honest, I knew very little about Captain Lawrence before picking up this beer. Previously, I only tried a random assortment of their beers left over from mixed 12-packs, and none were impressive. I spied a few cans of Tears of Green tucked away in the fridge at Storrs Wine and Spirits 2 and decided to give it a shot.

The first thing I noticed off the pour was the extremely pale color of this beer. Its look is closer to white grapefruit juice than any beer I’ve tried before. This pale-yellow color, combined with the opaque haze throughout the body of the brew, makes for a unique looking brew. A white head formed around the top of the glass before quickly reducing to a sticky web of lace. The carbonation is noticeable, and medium sized bubbles gathered underneath the head.

The nose is a burst of citrus fruit with a dank pine backing. Lemon, lime and white grapefruit make up most of the aroma, but a hint of sweet sugar cane is also detectable. Captain Lawrence advertises Citra and Motueka hops in this brew, and the Citra hops are certainly present on the nose. I’m less familiar with Motueka hops, as this New Zealand hop variety rarely makes its way into American IPAs, but some quick research indicates it is probably responsible for the lime aroma in this brew.

The taste follows the aroma pretty closely. A strong burst of lemon and lime come to the front of each sip before fading to a healthy dose of bitter hops. Some sweet sugarcane flavors also mixed into the flavor, helping balance out the sour fruit flavor. The mouthfeel is smooth and mild with medium-light carbonation. The end result is an impressively drinkable beer that I found myself enjoying more with each sip.

Tears of Green was a shot in the dark. I really had no idea if I would enjoy this beer when I bought it. I’m happy to say that in this case, I’m quite happy with my purchase. The crisp and refreshing flavor is surprising in a 7.5 percent ABV brew, and the introduction of an uncommon hop variety is a chance I love seeing breweries take. While it isn’t a groundbreaking IPA, this beer is a unique take on the style and shows off a complex flavor profile that I haven’t found in many other brews.

Rating: 4.25/5

Will Harris is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at will.harris@uconn.edu.