UConn Breakers dazzle audience, take home win at SUBOG Talent Show

(Courtesy/SUBOG website)

(Courtesy/SUBOG website)

Twelve diverse acts graced the Student Union Theater stage Wednesday night to compete in the SUBOG-run school talent show. Acts ranging from beautiful songs to explosive breakdancing strutted their stuff in front of a captive UConn audience. Four-piece campus group The Roomers kicked the night off strong with a minimalist yet soothing rendition of “Falling Slowly” from the classic 2007 Irish film “Once.”

Smack dab in the middle of the program, the eventual winners of the $500 Amazon gift card stepped to the stage: the UConn Breakers. Almost without warning, the small group burst into a fury of B-boying, driving the crowd insane.

After their triumph, fourth-semester CSE major Travis Wong let the secret loose on their cohesion.

“Every night from 9 to 11 we have practice, so we’re at this every single day. We work on our individual portions and when a performance like this comes up, we get together and say ‘Hey, what do you have? What do you have?’ And that’s what we did, and it got us the W.”  

A unique showcase found its way to the stage with Olivia Premus’ portrayal of Esmeralda from “The Hunchback of Notre Dame,” in full gypsy garb. If that’s not taking the extra step, I don’t know what is. Props.

A highlight of the night came near the end of the program: Illumin8 Dance Group. The five girls lit up the stage to a choreographed mashup ending with a killer breakdown to Meek Mill and Drake’s hit “R.I.C.O.” The collective audience went nuts, and Illumin8 walked away at the end of the night with the runner-up prize. Illumin8 dancer Abigail Macabingkil (on top of being an eighth-semester pharmacy student)  said she was pleased with the club’s performance.

“The event was really good, everything went really smoothly. Getting this prize was completely unexpected,” Macabingkil said.

“This was a great way for everyone to get exposure,” dancer and eighth-semester math major Jenny Tang said. “Events like these are a great way to learn about other performers on campus that I didn’t know about before, so it was super fun. We’ve got some talented people at UConn.”

Second-semester physiology/neurobiology Emily Moore performed for the first time ever. “I had a lot of fun, I liked it. I had a really good time,” Moore said. “Everyone who performed did an awesome job.”

If you want to learn how to break it down like the champs of the talent show, you’re in luck. The Breakers are running their own competition on March 31 in the Student Union 304 they’re calling Culture Vibe.  

SUBOG nailed the running of the program, as always, and the talent shone through. Hats off to everyone involved.

Daniel Cohn is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.cohn@uconn.edu.