Miami travel piece: a tale of two beaches

Miami Beach is a great vacation spot for college students on Spring Break. (Martin Pilát/Flickr Creative Commons)

This past week was the last spring break of my undergraduate career, so I knew I had to make it one to remember. After researching prices and neighborhoods, my friends and I made the decision to travel to one of the most popular spring break destinations—Miami Beach, Florida.

What drew us to Miami was not just the crazy parties or clubs, but the beach. My friends and I wanted nothing more than to lounge around in the sand with the hopes of forgetting about the freezing temperatures back home. We prioritized the beach over everything else, so we made the decision to get a charming Air BnB in the North Beach neighborhood of Miami Beach. North Beach was much cheaper and quieter than South Beach, but was still only a short trolley ride away from the crazy parties and nightlife synonymous with a Miami spring break. The only people on our beach were locals and families, so there was plenty of space to stretch out and swim to our hearts content.

When we weren’t on the beach, we would explore all Miami had to offer. On Tuesday, we traveled to Wynwood, a neighborhood in Miami known for its art scene. Almost every building was covered from top to bottom in beautiful murals and artwork. Wynwood had an open air museum dedicated to its famous murals. The museum, called Wynwood Walls, featured large murals as well as several indoor galleries and 3D art pieces. After we finished at the museum, we stumbled upon The Wynwood Yard, an outdoor food court that was off the beaten path. Gourmet food trucks surrounded a large bar that boasted absolutely fantastic happy hour specials. We ended the night at Wood Tavern, a bar that featured a great music selection and an artsy vibe. Wood Tavern had outdoor riser style seating instead of traditional tables and chairs and gave out free tacos from a local food vendor.

Three days out of the week, we embraced our inner “spring breakers” and headed down to South Beach. South Beach was packed with people, and almost all of them were in their twenties. The air was electric with partyers, but we preferred our quiet stretch of shoreline in North Beach. We figured that we should go to at least one night club before we head back to the Northeast, so we purchased tickets for the South Beach night club, Story. EDM group Showtek was performing and they really brought down the house with their infectious beats and confetti cannons. About an hour before the show, my friends and I were grabbing some food at a nearby restaurant when we befriended members of a Bachelor party who were also heading to Story after their meal. The group had purchased a VIP Booth in the night club, so they invited us to hang out with them for the entire night. The booth was stocked with large bottles of alcohol that would be replaced by the night club staff as soon as they began to empty, so I spent $9 on drinks all night. We left Story around 3:00 am and wandered around South Beach until we found ourselves in a McDonalds at 5:00 am. It was truly a night to remember, even if we had to wake up early the next morning for checkout.  

Despite the sunburns and the sleepless nights, I created some amazing memories this past break. It’s nice to be home, but I cannot wait to go back to Miami Beach.

Lauren Brown is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lauren.brown@uconn.edu.