Men’s tennis will battle Fairfield and Hofstra this weekend

(Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

UConn men’s tennis will look to get back to winning ways this weekend when they travel to take on Fairfield and Hofstra.

The Huskies, who currently sit at 3-5, have dropped three straight and have only managed to secure a single point in the losing streak. The Huskies fell 7-0 to both Army and Buffalo before losing 6-1 to Fordham last weekend.

Despite the ugly score lines, the Huskies have been competitive through their losing streak. In all three matches, they failed to capitalize on chances to capture the doubles point. Against Fordham, the Huskies picked up a win at No. 3 doubles and led 4-1 at No. 2 doubles before letting the lead slip away and losing at No. 1 doubles to drop the doubles point.

In singles play, Junior Hank Hill, junior Justin Warren, and freshman John Holtmann were all defeated in tight three-set matches. The lone point came from senior Jonathan Edwards, who won 6-4, 6-3 at No. 5 singles.

On Friday, UConn will face a 2-3 Stags team in Fairfield at 6 p.m. The two teams have faced no common opponent to date. The following day the Huskies will travel to Hempstead, New York to take on the Hofstra Pride, who currently sit at 4-3. The two teams both have been beaten by Fordham, but Hofstra only lost 5-2 and have already posted a win over Fairfield in the fall.

The Huskies singles lineup this season has consisted of freshman Yili Zheng at No. 1, Hill at No. 2, junior Jack McLister at No. 3, Warren at No. 4, Edwards at No. 5 and Holtmann at No. 6. The doubles lineup is led by Warren and Holtman at No. 1, Zheng and Edwards at No. 2 and Hill and McLister at No. 3.

Story Salit is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at story.salit@uconn.edu.