Men’s Track and Field: Huskies ready for IC4A Championship

The UConn men’s track and field team will head back up to Boston University from March 2 to 4 to compete in the IC4A (Intercollegiate Association of Amateur Athletes of America) Championship. “The oldest and the biggest conference in the country” (IC4A) will host a wide range of colleges and universities all looking to take home the title.

The Huskies will go up against teams from Maine all the way down to Virginia and out to Ohio. Head coach Greg Roy believes his squad will be serious contenders. However, they will have to go through strong programs like those of Northeastern, Army, Navy and many others. After finishing second last year, the Huskies will aim to finish the job this year.

This meet will take three days to complete and will start with the Pentathlon and Heptathlon, which will begin on Friday at 2:30 p.m. and 3 p.m., respectively. Saturday will be an all-day event consisting of almost all of the trials as well as a handful of finals. Sunday will conclude the meet and will consist of the finals of any event that has not finished.

UConn will send 35 athletes to the meet this season, including American Athletic Conference triple jump champion Malik Snead, who will certainly hope to replicate his previous success. Other Huskies to watch for will be senior Trenten Beram who will look to have another strong outing after coming in third in the 400m. Fellow senior Craig Hunter just made his return from injury last week and will want to keep up the progress he has made. One more thing to look for will be the 4x400 relay team, which will aim to bounce back after recording a DNF (did not finish) at the American Conference Championships.

This will be an exciting meet for the Huskies and the last before the big NCAA Championships which start on March 9.

Jorge Eckardt is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at