Register for the UB Hackathon today

The annual HackUConn Hackathon took palce in the Next Gen hall makerspace. Student groups create presentations within a time frame of 24 hours around the topic of allergy.(Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

From March 23 - 25, The University of Bridgeport is hosting a hackathon on their campus in Bridgeport, CT. For those unfamiliar, a hackathon is an event, usually lasting a couple days, focused on the collaborative process of creation through technology. It is a space where computer programmers, graphic designers, hardware/software engineers and people of other specialized interests come together and use technology to transform ideas into reality. The best part is it’s completely free.

The University of Bridgeport will be providing all the resources participants will need for the weekend, including food, sleeping accommodations and mentors to help with the project if participants get stuck. Rahul Chaudhary, one of the event’s organizers, emphasizes that they have everything covered.

“We’ll provide you with a weekend’s worth of meals, drinks, and snacks and a place to crash when you need a break from coding. In fact, you’ll probably walk away loaded with all the swag that you’ll get at UB Hackathon and of course, an unforgettable experience," Chaudhary said.

You don’t even need to come with an idea or a team. You can form your own group during the event and brainstorm a bunch of ideas along the way. You also don’t need any kind of prior hackathon experience. Whether you consider yourself to be a hackathon novice or a seasoned pro, everyone can contribute as a valuable asset to their team. All you need to bring is a laptop, a charger, a college ID and an eager spirit.

Rahul and his team have been busy planning, and it shows. “We’ve taken care of details so students can be creative and focus on doing their best,” Chaudhary said. “Hopefully, they’ll have fun, network with peers and even pave the way for their own start-ups.”

The event is sponsored by some big name companies such as Wolfram, Soylent and Unilever who will have representatives at the event. This funding has allowed them provide some really cool prizes for the best creations. Although it’s not about winning, they have some great prizes in stock that will be announced soon. A panel of professional judges will select the best projects based on the following criteria: creativity, functionality, level of technical difficulty and quality. Most sponsors like to offer their own prizes as well for specific categories which are evaluated themselves.

If you are interested, act quickly as the date is fast approaching and seats are limited. For registration details and more information, visit http://www.ubhackathon.com

Mitchell Clark is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at mitchell.clark@uconn.edu.