UConn softball heads to Georgia for I-75 Challenge

(File/The Daily Campus)

(File/The Daily Campus)

UConn softball will head down to Georgia this weekend to compete in the I-75 Challenge. The Huskies will start the weekend with two games against Georgia State at 1 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. on Friday then play two against Georgia Tech on Saturday at the same times. UConn will round off their weekend with a noon game against Kennesaw State on Sunday.

UConn (7-7) will be looking for a stronger showing this weekend as they come off a 2-3 performance in the FGCU/Four Points by Sheraton Invitational in Florida. The team was able to knock off both Wright State and Stony Brook in doubleheader action last Saturday.

The Huskies’ pitching remains a strength as they have a team ERA of 2.14 through 14 games. Freshman Marybeth Olson continues to impress as she leads both the team and conference in ERA (0.70), wins (3), appearances (8), strikeouts (39) and opposing batting average (1.83).

Redshirt freshman Olivia Sappington will try to stay hot as she comes off a .353 weekend at the FGCU/Four Points by Sheraton Invitational. Sappington went 6-of-17 last weekend and earned a spot on this week’s American Athletic Conference Honor Roll.

Georgia State (7-8) will look to knock off the Huskies early as they are just 2-4 over their last six games. The Panthers will likely lean on senior catcher Ivie Drake offensively as she leads the team with a .407 batting average, three home runs and a .786 slugging percentage. Sophomore pitcher Emily Soles will aim to keep the Huskies’ bats quiet as she leads the Panthers with a 3.86 ERA and four wins.

Georgia Tech (7-6) has won their previous five games and hopes to maintain the trend when they face UConn Saturday afternoon. Senior pitcher Emily Anderson will do her best to keep the Huskies off the scoreboard with her impressive 1.35 ERA over eight appearances.

Utility player Katie Krzus will lead the Yellow Jackets into this weekend’s action. The junior leads the team in hits (10) and slugging percentage (.758). Freshman outfielder Cameron Stanford looks to keep her impressive rookie campaign rolling with her team-leading .333 batting average over nine games.

UConn will aim to avenge a 5-1 road loss from a year ago when they face Kennesaw State on Sunday to wrap up the weekend. The Owls (4-6) have won two of their last three games and will attempt to keep their momentum rolling against the Huskies. Junior Hailey Andrews looks to stay dominate in the circle as she has posted a 0.64 ERA and a win in two appearances.

The Owls will rely on sophomore outfielder Olivia Tamewitz and freshman catcher/first baseman Patricia Awald offensively. Tamewitz leads Kennesaw State with a .400 batting average over 10 games while Awald has team highs in both home runs (1- tied) and slugging percentage (.583).

Kevin Arnold is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kevin.arnold@uconn.edu.