Wood and Vulcano bring the house down at SUBOG comedy show

SUBOG hosts Sal Vulcano and Roy Wood Jr. for their Winter Comedy Show in Jorgensen on Thursday, March 1, 2018. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

“Great” and “hilarious” were just a few words used to describe the SUBOG comedy show Thursday night featuring Sal Vulcano and Roy Wood Jr. Vulcano and Wood kept the audience engaged throughout the entire show by talking about relatable topics that students could just sit back and laugh at.

Vulcano is best known for his work on the television show “Impractical Jokers” in which four men including Vulcano coerce one another into doing public pranks while being filmed by hidden cameras. Wood is best known for his work as a correspondent on Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show.”

Both Vulcano and Wood opened their sets with jokes about or inspired by college life that the audience could easily relate to.

Kayla Bentham, a second-semester psychology major and longtime fan of Vulcano and Wood, thought the show was great. The bar was set high and they met it.

Bentham particularly enjoyed Vulcano’s performance. “I liked Sal better because I’ve been following him for a while, so I was really excited to see him. Impractical Jokers is honestly like my second favorite show of all time. He’s honestly hilarious,” Bentham said. “I like his body movements. That really adds to the humor about it.”

Katelyn Jepsen, a second-semester digital media and design major, couldn’t decide between Vulcano and Wood. “They’re both good in their own ways,” Jepsen said.

Vulcano started with the Uber joke of the century which goes as follows: He was convinced to go out by a friend and because he was reluctant to go, he decided the best thing to do was drink two five-hour energies and then get drunk. Being the responsible man that he is, Vulcano took an Uber home at four in the morning but mistakenly gave the driver one star. In an effort to fix this, he drafted an email to Uber, but “600 minutes of energy, Tito’s handmade vodka and autocorrect” got in the way.

The email read, “To Ubs it may concern, EVERYTHING’S GOING GREAT. Croutons.”

Jepsen remarked that Vulcano is not the only one with an Uber story to tell.

“The Uber thing was really funny,” Jepsen said. “Best way to open a show is with a good drunken Uber story. Most of us have one of our own, but of course no alcohol was involved in ours. Still wondering what would correct to croutons.”

Wood opened up on a more sober note with a joke about grades. He joked about how C’s get degrees and that there are different levels of failing grades.

“I made an F one time when I was in school,” Wood said. “You ever make a super F? A regular F that’s like a 58, a 61. That’s like when you get the grade back from the teacher and you start lying to yourself and you go through the scenarios where can you can still bounce back from this F. I made a seven one time. There’s no bouncing back from a seven.”

“The F thing was hilarious,” Jepsen said. “The different types of F’s and the super F and how there’s no way you can come back from that.”

This relatability continued throughout the show as they discussed crazy roommates, politics and music.

Bentham agreed about Wood’s reliability and noted the ways in which both comedians knew their audience.

“(Wood) spoke about grades which is what college students are always worried about,” Bentham said. “I liked the roommate jokes because roommate struggles are relatable, but people are always scared to get a roommate that they don’t know because you never know about crazy roommate stories and so the humor made light about something that may be scary.”

By suggesting that the way to prove yourself as the “dominant roommate” is acting crazy, Wood played off of these small fears, turned them on their heads and made them into some hilarious jokes.

Vulcano and Wood’s performances provided a great source of much-needed comic relief during midterm season to help get students through this last week before spring break.

Alex Taylor is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at alexis.taylor@uconn.edu.