Gubernatorial candidate Mark Boughton collapses at campaign event, dehydration to blame

State representative and physician Prasad Srinivasan, who was also invited to speak at the meet-and-greet, attended to Boughton shortly after he fainted. (Twitter/@TeamBoughton)

Danbury mayor Mark Boughton collapsed while speaking at a campaign “meet-and-greet” in Avon on Thursday, March 15, according to a report by the Hartford Courant.

Boughton, 54, was treated for dehydration at the University of Connecticut Health Center’s John Dempsey Hospital and was released Friday afternoon, according to a UConn Health statement.

Boughton underwent surgery last year to remove a benign tumor from his brain, but supporters associated with his campaign said that the cause of his collapse was unrelated to the surgery, according to the Hartford Courant.

In a phone interview with the CT Mirror, Boughton said his doctors are confident that he can avoid another seizure by taking his prescribed anti-seizure medication and altering his diet, which he said consists mostly of diet soda and junk food.

State representative and physician Prasad Srinivasan, who was also invited to speak at the meet-and-greet, attended to Boughton shortly after he fainted. Srinivasan said what happened was more than a fainting spell and described Boughton as being in “tough shape” at the time, according to the Hartford Courant. 

"He looked paler than pale until the pulse came back,’’ Srinivasan said. "He's a lucky man. He's lucky to be alive.''

Andrew Miano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at andrew.miano@uconn.edu.