Melissa’s Menu: Three healthy fruit smoothies

This week on Melissa's Menu are three homemade smoothie recipes packed with fruits and vegetables for a nutrient-filled, refreshing drink. (Photo courtesy of Delish.com)

We all know that eating healthy is in an important part of life, but finding ways to make healthy food delicious can be challenging. Despite this, eating healthy doesn’t have to be miserable. There are many ways to use fruits and vegetables to create something yummy, and smoothies are a perfect example. This week, I am sharing three homemade smoothie recipes that pack lots of nutrients in and cut out the added sugars or preservatives that could come with a store bought version.

Tropical Mango Smoothie:

• 1/2 cup pineapple juice
  • 1 cup diced mango
  • 1 banana
  • 2 tsp. fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 tsp. grated, peeled fresh ginger
  • 3 ice cubes

Raspberry Green Tea Smoothie:

• 1 cup green tea, chilled
  • 1/3 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
  • 1 cup raspberries
  • 1 large frozen banana
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup ice

Banana Almond Flax Seed Smoothie:

• 1 large frozen banana
  • 2/3 cup almond milk
  • 1/3 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
  • 1 1/2 tbsp creamy almond butter
  • 1 tbsp ground flaxseed meal
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 2-3 drops almond extract
  • 4 ice cubes

Directions: blend ingredients until smooth

These three recipes are all delicious and beneficial in their own way. The mango smoothie is like summertime in a glass, and contains ginger, which has several health benefits and is known for its anti-inflammatory properties. The raspberry green tea smoothie is super refreshing and is packed with antioxidants. The banana almond smoothie is so rich and delicious that it tastes more like dessert than a smoothie, and is packed with protein and fiber. No matter which smoothie you decide to try, you definitely will be craving more!

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.