UConn filmmakers showcase their wild side at SUBOG’s Film Festival

SUBOG hosted the first annual film festival in the Student Union Monday night. The top three films won movie SUBOG vouchers and Fandango gift cards. (Nicholas Hampton/The Daily Campus)

UConn’s own student filmmakers showed off their talent last night in the SUBOG Student Film Festival. This was SUBOG’s first year hosting the event, and judging by the number of applications received, this will not be their last.

The festival saw a diverse pool of short films ranging from black comedy to mockumentary. First place was awarded to “The Two Timer,” a crime drama spoof created by students Shafi Khan, Sameer Ahmad, Fahim Abiar, Kevin Rodrigues, Reiham Barino and Abdullah Chaudhry. The film focused on two hitmen brothers and their betrayal at the hands of a bloodthirsty stuffed pooch. The film also contained references galore, including nods to “The Godfather” and Quentin Tarantino.  The characters’ serious demeanor in such a ridiculous situation (even when firing finger guns at each other) made this a huge hit with the audience.

Second place went to “Minimal Crimes,” created by Patrick O’Rourke, Jerry Lapenta, AJ Lorenzetti and Jack Dubrosky. This strange tale followed a pair of cops in the minimal crimes division, arresting perps for small-time offenses like loitering.

The third place winner was “My First Short Film”, directed by Alex O’Neill. This entertainingly meta movie looked at the process of filmmaking, poking fun at the pre-production stages of a film while describing the very film that they were making. Chock-full of inconsistencies and planned continuity errors, this film had good humor and a fun twist.

The other two films aired were titled “Meloncholy” and “X-Files Documentary.”

“Meloncholy” was written and directed by Dennis Pilipenko, edited by Anthony Zor, and starred Gian Lombardo as a man who obtains the Midas touch-esque curse of turning everything he touches into fruit. While starting off light and silly, the film soon takes a dark twist as cannibalism of the humans-turned-produce enters the mix. Also involved were Brittany Shuster, Brian Sandor, Cameron O’Connor and Faisal Rajan.

“X-Files Documentary” was created by Zoya Ali, Sophia Pelehach, Molly Carter, Hannah van Bergen, Cara Connors and Yosh Goodman. In a “The Office” style documentary, this film follows Agents Mulder and Scully in their quest to discover whether or not Mulder’s new roomate Spock is indeed an alien.

All of the students clearly put a lot of work into their productions and made fun, entertaining short films. As the crew of “Meloncholy” told me, they spent three weeks filming and editing their project. Hopefully more dedicated students will join in next year and show off whatever crazy stories they can think up. Even if you don’t win, showing off your creation to other students and seeing your work pay off is still its own prize.

“We came here, not to win, but to make people feel something, and we did make people feel something. I call that a success,” Pilipenko said.

Evan Burns is campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at evan.burns@uconn.edu.