Thirsty Thursday: Long Island iced tea

For those of us still in denial about the weather and our unseasonably snowy March, this week’s drink is a Long Island Ice Tea. This college staple has five different types of alcohol in it, but is smooth enough to make you think that it has none. (Life/The Daily Campus)

Spring break ended less than a week ago, but I already wish I was back in the sun. The cold synonymous with a Storrs winter was a rude awakening that we still have to get through half a semester before its summer full-time. For those of us still in denial about the weather and our unseasonably snowy March, this week’s drink is a Long Island Ice Tea. This college staple has five different types of alcohol in it, but is smooth enough to make you think that it has none.

• Half an ounce of triple sec
  • Half an ounce of tequila
  • Half an ounce of vodka
  • Half an ounce of rum
  • Half an ounce of gin
  • One ounce of sour mix
  • One to two ounces of cola
  • Lime wedge

Combine the five alcohols and sour mix over ice into a cocktail shaker, and shake vigorously. Pour the drink into a glass, and add the cola to taste. Garnish with a lime wedge.

If you don’t have sour mix, this bar staple is incredibly easy to make. Combine one cup of sugar with one cup of water, and bring the mixture to a boil on the stove top. Let it simmer for five minutes before adding one cup of lemon juice and one cup of lime juice.

The Long Island Iced Tea is a classic drink for college students, due in part to its delicious flavor and high alcohol content. Its taste and appearance practically scream summer, but can be enjoyed all throughout the year—even the cold winter.

Thirsty Thursday is created by of-age students in the Daily Campus Life section. Recommendations can be sent to life@dailycampus.com. We will respond if sober.