How to maintain flawless skin on a budget

Investing time and money into a good skincare routine may seem like a hassle, but it’s worth it in the long run. Your skin is your body’s largest organ, and it has the least protection, so it needs all the help it can get. ( Bruce Mars /Creative Commons)

Investing time and money into a good skincare routine may seem like a hassle, but it’s worth it in the long run. Your skin is your body’s largest organ, and it has the least protection, so it needs all the help it can get. (Bruce Mars/Creative Commons)

Investing time and money into a good skincare routine may seem like a hassle, but it’s worth it in the long run. Your skin is your body’s largest organ, and it has the least protection, so it needs all the help it can get. Neglecting your skin can lead to acne, blemishes, wrinkles and sun damage. Obviously, nobody wants that, so I’m here with a few tips as well as some budget-friendly products to try out that will keep your skin looking healthy and vibrant for years to come.

Moisturize Daily

This is a big one, and it’s also super simple. After cleansing your face every morning, it’s a great idea to moisturize with an oil-free moisturizer. Not only will your skin visibly look more vibrant, but the hydration from the moisturizer will help skin cells repair themselves, regulate the amount of oil you produce and reduce blemishes. It’s also important to use a moisturizer with an SPF of 15 to protect your face from sun damage. As for your whole body, it is a great idea to moisturize right after a shower to replenish the oils you just stripped away. Olay Complete all day moisturizer is a great lotion specifically for your face. It contains vitamin E and aloe, has SPF 15 and is designed for sensitive skin. Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion is a great full-body moisturizer perfect for all skin types.

Shop:

Olay Complete Lotion Moisturizer with SPF 15 Sensitive, 4 oz: $6.94, Walmart

Vaseline Intensive Care Essential Healing Lotion, 10 oz: $3.49, Target

Exfoliate

Exfoliation is something often overlooked but vital to a complete skincare routine. Exfoliation removes the top layer of dead skin cells that clogs your skin and pores and uncovers fresh new cells below. This can increase blood circulation, relieve some skin conditions and leaves your skin looking more vibrant and healthy. There are millions of super expensive exfoliating scrubs and tools out there, but there are cheaper alternatives to get the job done, too. Personally, I love St. Ives face scrubs for exfoliating. They have a scrub that doubles as a blemish control scrub, using only natural exfoliates, and it works well for me. It is also super easy to make your own body scrub with some coconut oil, sugar, cocoa butter and other ingredients of your choice!

Shop:

St. Ives Blemish Control Face Scrub Apricot, 6 oz: $3.39, Target

St. Ives Even and Bright Pink Lemon and Mandarin Orange Scrub, 6 oz: $3.59, Target

Try a Spot Treatment

If you suffer from acne and random breakouts, a spot treatment is something that could really be beneficial in stopping those pesky pimples. A spot treatment is an over the counter cream or gel that you apply directly to a pimple and let it sit, typically overnight. They are really powerful in stopping a pimple from getting worse and reducing its appearance. Clean & Clear and Neutrogena are two affordable brands that have effective spot treatment creams.

Shop:

Clean & Clear Persa-Gel 10 Acne Medication,1 oz: $4.99, Target

Neutrogena On-The-Spot Acne Treatment, 0.75 oz: $5.99, Target

All-Natural Options

If you’re looking for some affordable and all-natural remedies for the skin, look no further. Tea tree oil, one of the most common essential oils, is perfect for fighting acne and relieving skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema. It can also fade scars. Witch hazel, a plant extract, can also treat acne as well as calm irritated skin and tighten your skin. Aloe, another plant extract, is extremely soothing and has many anti-inflammatory properties. Honey and lemon are two more ingredients (that you probably already have in your house) that are full of antioxidants that will leave you with clear and glowing skin.

Shop:

Tea Tree Skin Clearing Facial Wash, 2 oz: $3.00, The Body Shop

T.N. Dickinson's Witch Hazel Liquid, 16 oz: $3.29, Target

Fruit Of The Earth Aloe Vera Gel, 12 oz: $3.97, Walmart

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.