Melissa’s Menu: Creme Brulee Cookies

This week on Melissa's Menu is a fresh take on a traditional dessert: creme brulee cookies. (Photo courtesy of Tasty)

Creme Brulee is one of the most decadent and fancy desserts out there. It’s a french dessert that consists of a creamy vanilla custard covered with a layer of hardened sugar. It’s extremely delicious and, in my opinion, is the ultimate dessert. This week’s recipe takes creme brulee to the next level: it’s creme brulee but in cookie form. You read that right, all the creamy goodness of the classic dessert surrounded by a sugar cookie. This is a recipe you’ll definitely want to try!

Ingredients:

• 3 large egg yolks
  • 2 cups sugar, divided
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 ½ cups milk
  • ½ cup unsalted butter, 1 stick, softened
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. In a large, microwave-safe bowl, whisk the yolks and half cup of sugar until pale in color. Add the cornstarch and vanilla extract, whisk well. Add the milk and whisk until fully combined. Loosely cover the bowl with plastic wrap and microwave for four to six minutes, whisking every one to two minutes, until the mixture becomes a thick custard. Re-cover with plastic wrap and chill for about two hours. In a medium bowl, cream the softened butter and half cup of sugar with a hand mixer until light and fluffy. Add the egg, and mix until fully incorporated. Add the flour and mix until the dough is crumbly, but holds together when squeezed. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Once chilled, roll out the dough between two layers of parchment paper until it is roughly a quarter inch thick. Cut out six two-inch diameter rounds of dough. Remove the excess dough and transfer the rings to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Re-roll the leftover cookie dough to the same thickness. Cut out six more two-inch rounds, then cut a one and a half inch ring inside the two-inch rounds. Transfer the whole rounds to the baking sheet, then remove the inner circles.
Bake the cookies for ten minutes, until pale and just barely cooked. Let sit at room temperature to cool for 30 minutes. Once the cookies are cool, transfer the chilled custard to a piping bag. Pipe the custard onto the circle-shaped cookies completely covering the surface. Place the ring-shaped cookies on top of the custard-topped cookies and press down gently to adhere.
Add the remaining cup of sugar to a small pan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar melts and begins to caramelize. Make sure there are no lumps of sugar. While the caramel is still hot, pour about two tablespoons over each cookie to fill the ring on top. Let the cookies cool completely.

These cookies are absolutely amazing. Everything you love about creme brulee is wrapped up simply in a warm, sweet sugar cookie. It’s also very simple to make!

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.