Keep it simple and comfortable this formal season

Right after the seemingly bitter cold months and just before the spring breeze is a fifth season in the college community. This season is better known as formal season. Or #formalszn.  Formal is about changing out of your studying sweats and putting something on that makes you feel good for a fun night out with your friends and/or significant other.

Sweatpants are easy to wear. No one cares if they’re in style or not. Formal season, however, requires a little bit effort. I’m here to help!

Scrolling through Instagram, a huge trend I’ve seen for formal wear is simplicity. The palette is as neutral as the Instagrams of prominent fashion and food bloggers.

For dress colors, I would suggest a creamy, off-white. It’s not the same as a completely white dress but will make for a nice touch with simple gold jewelry and a pair of nude heals. If you want to add a pop of color to your outfit, definitely go for a pair of colorful shoes, like blue or green. Personally, I think a pair of simple red heels goes with everything.

Another color that would be perfect to wear is periwinkle, a soft take on purple, if you will. The color is flattering for any skin color.

For formal season, I would not suggest going with a little black dress. Formal season marks a shift in the temperature for me and a LBD reminds me of the harsh winter that we just came out of. A little color will definitely introduce the new season. A dress with patterns will definitely make you stand out from the crowd. You would definitely be able to pull off a nice floral number, but a dress with a simple pattern would also do the trick.

I would personally go for a short flowy dress. I would specifically go for a flowy romper number that looks like a dress. Imagine being able to dance the night away while not having to worry about your dress flipping up. My shoes of choice would be a comfortable pair of wedges, to add to the comfortable aesthetic of the romper.

I’ve never been a fan of tight-fitted dresses. I see this year’s trend leaning toward short, flowy dresses with plunging necklines. These necklines are perfect for layering short and long necklaces. A long empire waist dress is also perfect for formal season, without being too promiscuous.

These are only my opinions on what you should wear during formal season. Ultimately, wear what makes you feel good and gets you out on the dance floor!

Kimberly Nguyen is the associate managing editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kimberly.nguyen@uconn.edu.