Early voting amendment passes Connecticut Government Administration and Elections Committee

The proposal will either continue to the next elected General Assembly session or be voted on by Connecticut residents on that election day, depending on whichever path article six of the amendments to the Constitution dictates. (Courtesy/Flickr Creative Commons)

A constitutional amendment allowing early voting in Connecticut recently passed the state’s Government Administration and Elections (GAE) Committee.

The amendment, titled “Resolution Proposing a State Constitutional Amendment to Permit Early Voting,” would allow people who are unable to make it to the polls on an election day to cast their ballots on specified days during the two weeks leading up to an election.

Connecticut Secretary of the State Denise Merrill said in a statement that she is in favor of the amendment.

“More than 46 million people nationwide voted early in 2016 and Connecticut voters can join them if the Early Voting Constitutional Amendment is enacted,” Merrill said. “I applaud the GAE Committee for taking this important first step in passing the amendment out of committee and I look forward to it getting a full airing – and a vote – on the floor of both chambers of the General Assembly this session.”

The proposal will either continue to the next elected General Assembly session or be voted on by Connecticut residents on that election day, depending on whichever path article six of the amendments to the Constitution dictates.

“The designation of said proposed amendment to be used on the ballots at such election shall be ‘Shall the Constitution of the State be amended to allow the General Assembly to provide opportunities for early voting in person during the fourteen days prior to the day of an election?’” the proposed amendment reads.

The next General Assembly session will be elected on Nov. 8, 2018.

Gabriella DeBenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.