Here’s what’s coming and leaving Netflix in April

(Courtesy/Wikimedia Creative Commons)

(Courtesy/Wikimedia Creative Commons)

If there’s one consistent thing to look forward to at the beginning of every month, it would have to be the movies and TV shows coming to Netflix. April brings (hopefully) warmer weather, blooming flowers and all things spring. It also brings an array of new content to binge. This month’s lineup includes Jennifer Aniston’s quirky rom-com “Along Came Polly,” childhood classic “Nancy Drew,” iconic mob film “Scarface” and more. The newest season of “Jane the Virgin” will also be released shortly after it finishes airing.

As always, there are an array of new Netflix Originals premiering throughout the month, including the fourth installment of David Letterman’s “My Guest Needs No Introduction,” featuring rapper Jay-Z, a reboot of the 1960s show “Lost in Space,” “The New Legends of Monkey” and a Kevin James special titled “Kevin James: Never Don’t Give Up.”

There is plenty of new content being added for children this month. “Despicable Me 3” will be added April 5 and “The Boss Baby” TV spinoff and Netflix Original “The Boss Baby: Back in Business” will be added April 6. The 1994 film “The Flintstones,” sci-fi film “The Iron Giant” and the second season of “The Magic School Bus Rides Again” are also coming to Netflix. There’s an array of animal-centered films being added this month, including “Cats and Dogs,” which details an ongoing war between the two beloved pets and “Beethoven’s Christmas Adventure,” which is the seventh of eight films following the adventures of the lovable Saint Bernard.

Several documentaries are being added, including the second season of the Netflix Original “Dope,” which dives into the war on drugs in Mexico and the US. “Bill Nye: Science Guy” follows the life of the scientist after the success of his popular children’s show as he tries to promote scientific thinking. Neil DeGrasse Tyson is also featured in the film. “Bobby Kennedy for President” studies the politician’s life and legacy and includes never-before-seen footage and interviews with Kennedy.

Fans of drama films can check out new arrivals such as Academy Award winning Italian comedy/drama “Life is Beautiful.” “Seven Pounds,” which stars Will Smith who plays a man set out to change the lives of seven strangers (one of which he ends up falling in love with), dark crime thriller “Seven” starring Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt and “Deep Blue Sea,” which stars Samuel L. Jackson and is about a scientific experiment going awry, leading to massive sharks attacking scientists. As mentioned earlier, “Scarface,” one of the most famous crime films of all time, will also be added on April 1.

Other films being added throughout the month include “Friday Night Lights,” which is sadly the movie and not the television series but is still worth a watch, Disney’s “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest,” “Sin City” starring Jessica Alba, Mickey Rourke, Rosario Dawson and Bruce Willis, teen action film “The Lost Boys,” which is about two brothers running into a gang of vampires and “Mortal Kombat,” based off of the famous video game of the same name.

Unfortunately as we say hello to new films and shows, we also have to say goodbye to some as well. In April we will be losing titles such as Will Smith’s “The Pursuit of Happyness,” “American Pie,” “Caddyshack,” “John Mulaney: New in Town,” “The Shawshank Redemption,” “Leap Year” and “Kung Fu Panda 3.”

The full list of what’s coming and leaving Netflix in April is available on digitaltrends.com.

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.