The new party of Trumplicans

President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump arrive at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., Saturday, March 3, 2018 to board Marine One for a short trip to the White House. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)

Since about the beginning of 2016, the Republican Party has been going through a major ideological shift. The George W. Bush-era Republicans fought hard to stop the new wave of Trumplicans; their attempt failed in epic proportions and it was a beautiful sight. In just over a year since President Trump took office, the shift has become increasingly apparent.

I believe the Republican Party lost its vision and bedrock ideology after the horrific presidency of George W. Bush. The country was fighting two wars and the economy was in shambles. This delivered the presidency and congress to the Democrats, and the Republican Party hit rock bottom. Even after the Tea Party wave in 2010 and the midterm elections of 2014 that gave the Republican Party control of the senate, the party still had no leader. The unlikeliest of leaders emerged as we all know, and the party’s strength is growing by the day. Regardless of what the fake news machine spews, President Trump isn’t far right by any stretch of the imagination. He has brought an America-first, common sense approach to governing. He has shown a middle-of-the-road take on many issues, along with his many meetings with Democratic leadership in the White House regarding legislative issues. The gun control debate is yet another example of his willingness to do what he believes is right for the country, regardless of party affiliation.

The Democratic Party has taken the opposite road by supporting far-left progressives like Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren. One issue the Democratic Party faces is their laser focus on polarizing issues. I was absolutely appalled by the comments made about abortion last year by Tom Perez, the Chairman of the Democratic National Committee: “Every Democrat, like every American, should support a woman’s right to make her own choices about her body and her health. That is not negotiable and should not change city by city or state by state” . That seems like quite a shocking statement coming from the “tent party.” It is also surprising that the head of the DNC is totally willing to alienate large blocs of voters; one perfect example is many Catholics who are Democrats, yet against abortion. I guess they’ll have to turn to the Republican Party, and they’ll be welcomed with open arms.

While the Democratic Party has dug in on social issues, the Republican Party has thankfully shifted on many of those issues. For example, long gone is the failed Republican campaign against gay marriage. It was a totally hypocritical, ignorant stance to take and I am extremely thankful that so many Republicans, including the first openly supportive Republican President, has overtaken the old guard of the party on this stance. When the first openly gay speaker spoke at the Republican National Convention in 2016, it showed just how willing the party is to progress

The Republican Party has become the clear party of American economic dominance. Every single day hardworking middle-class Americans who have voted Democrat their entire lives realize how bad their party has failed them. One of the most powerful political statements Donald Trump has ever made came on the campaign trail in 2016: “We will no longer surrender this country or its people to the false song of globalism”. In my opinion, this should be the official slogan of the Republican Party. It is absolutely a phrase the party should live by. The Democratic Party, and for many years “leaders” of the Republican Party have abandoned the working class and have been far too eager to enter into failed globalistic pacts. I am proud to see President Trump buck this trend while reshaping the Republican Party to one that puts America’s working class first.

Alexander Grzelak is a staff columnist for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at