CCD offers students professional knowledge through internship program

The Center for Career Development is located on the second floor of the Wilbur Cross Library. The CCD offers many resources to students looking for job opportunities, such as resume critiquing and career fairs. (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

The Center for Career Development in is looking for students to intern for their department for the 2018-19 academic year.

The center is looking for “confident, professional, and enthusiastic students” who can commit to a 10-to-15 hour to the program per week. Interns will critique résumés for undergraduate students, present on career-related topics, participate in professional development stories and more, according to the Center.

Monique Cooper, Career Consultant and Career Intern Program Manager, said that the program has transformed throughout the years it has been active. It is common for career offices to have internship programs nationally, Cooper said.

Students go through a weeklong summer training the week before students return to campus for the academic year, Cooper said. The students get trained on techniques such as resume writing and training for presentations in First Year Learning experience classes that come through the office, Cooper said.

Leila Shwayhat, an eighth-semester Environmental Engineering major,  has been interning with the Center of Career Development since August. There are several different rules to learn during the training and an opportunity to get to know the other interns, Shwayhat said. She had no experience prior, but felt that she was well-trained, Shwayhat said.

“We’ll go into things like how to mentor students one on one, and body language,” Shwayhat said. “We [also] got to network with businesses that we work with.”

Students who intern also have networking opportunities that include diversity and inclusion networking training, Cooper said.

“You’re really gaining lifelong skills,” Cooper said.

Students also receive transferable skills that include communication skills and team building skills, Cooper said. There is also insider information that students can apply to their professional life.

Cooper said the program is applicable to all students from all majors, because the skills interns will learn apply to their professional lives. The choices that students make after they complete their undergraduate education varies, Cooper said.

“A couple of our interns are going into law school…higher education…the workforce and graduate school,” Cooper said.

Shwayhat said she “stumbled” on the job at JobX, and took it because it was different from the other student employment opportunities.

“It’s an instructional specialist position…you’re actually going in and helping students one-on-one,” Shwayhat said. “Having that face to face opportunity to help others in a professional capacity is really interesting.”

Shwayhat said that there were students of many different majors and resumes that would come into the office, making the job of an intern different each day.

“It can be intimidating not being prepared for all situations,” Shwayhat saidx.

This work, however helps someone adapt to the situations very quickly, Shwayhat said.

“It’s rewarding…you might be going through the basics, but this is professional development that they’ve never had before,” Shwayhat said.

Applications are accepted until this Friday, March 9th at 5 p.m and students can apply at www.studentjobs.uconn.edu.  

Kimberly Nguyen is the associate managing editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kimberly.nguyen@uconn.edu.