Commuter Corner: A day without my phone

A day with out your phone can be as hard as dieting. (Gonzalo Baeza/Flickr Creative Commons)

With the hopes of bettering ourselves, college students will do some pretty rotten things to themselves. In the end it’ll get easier and maybe make you feel better, but when you start out, it’s rough. If you’ve started dieting in college, or at all, good for you. I know perfectly well that dieting will make me feel better. When healthy food is around, I usually gravitate towards it. However, that is not the mountain I choose to climb today.

Exercising is one of my mountains. Like eating better, I know that I feel better once it’s over; it gets the stress out in a productive way and works off all the junk food I eat. I could write an article about the benefits of exercise  as I’m trying to incorporate more activity into my day, but that is not my current struggle either.

Here is where you should glance back up at the title. No, I’m not just talking about a social media cleanse that lasts a few hours. I’m talking about 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. with absolutely no access to my phone.

Okay, glance up at the title once more. Notice the “Commuter Corner” part. This “Day Without a Phone” was not an attempt to better myself. It was not welcome in the slightest. I realized my phone was gone after completing my 45-minute trek to campus, my heart dropping as I took in the fact that this was Tuesday.

Tuesday is quite possibly the worst day of my week. I have an internship from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., then class from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Though I love the internship and the class, it’s an entire day devoted to work, school and driving. It’s worse without my phone, but let me tell you a few things I learned in this unwanted “bettering myself” scenario I found myself in.

For starters, I kept reaching over into my bag to grab my phone, only to re-realize it wasn’t there. The heartbreak hit me over and over again. It was honestly kind of pathetic how often I went to look for it throughout the duration of the internship.

On my walk to class, which is probably three-quarters of a mile, I was able to take in the sights and sounds of sweaty people passing my slow pace on the sidewalk. UConn is a beautiful campus when you aren’t too lost in the music to pay attention.

After making it to class and finding myself with a little free time--which I would usually devote to Facebook--I read the Daily Campus. I haven’t just sat down and read a newspaper in a while, and it was surprisingly calming.

During class, I wasn’t able to pull up anyone’s pieces, so I couldn’t really comment and get full participation. This was honestly one of the worse consequences of being without my phone.

And here’s the biggest realization: By the time I got home, I had all of six messages waiting for me. Six. I was gone an entire day, and only six messages were there to greet me. Four of them were just about Snapchat streaks. Two were memes from my sister. This traumatic event had no effect on anyone but me.

If you want to try a day without your phone, I encourage it. Don’t stay away from it all the time, but every once in a while could prove to be enlightening.

Hannah Desrosiers is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hannah.desrosiers@uconn.edu.