Golf: Off to Ft. Lauderdale

It may be cold in Storrs, but the Golf team has matches to play (Google Images)

The UConn golf team will be attending their second match of the spring season on Monday with the Fort Lauderdale Intercollegiate at the Fort Lauderdale Country Club in Florida.

Eyes will be on juniors Nick Harrington and co-captain Jimmy Hervol, who were the Husky’s top performers at the Loyola Intercollegiate last weekend. They finished the Arizona tournament T18 with a -7 and T22 with a -6, respectively.

Harrington has been consistently turning in good rounds, as of late. The junior finished every round under par last weekend and will try to stay hot heading into Monday.

Junior co-captain Nabeel Khan, who finished -1 last weekend, will look to step things up in this week’s tournament. Khan played very well during the Fall season and will look to build on that here early in the Spring.

At the Loyola Intercollegiate, the Huskies struggled with scoring and finishing the tournament. They led the tournament in pars, but were 11th in birdies. They also began the final round in sixth place, but dropped to ninth by the end of the day. If they can score consistently throughout the duration of the tournament, UConn should find themselves towards the top of the leaderboard by the end of it.

The Fort Lauderdale Intercollegiate will go from Monday, March 5 to Tuesday, March 6. This will be UConn golf’s first time playing at Fort Lauderdale Country Club.

Sean Janos is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sean.janos@uconn.edu.