Tennis: Huskies fall to Fairfield and Hofstra over weekend

Tennis season is underway for the rest of the spring (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

The UConn men’s tennis team dropped a pair of matches over the weekend, losing at Fairfield 4-3 on Friday and 5-2 at Hofstra on Saturday. The losses leave the Huskies with a 3-7 record on the season.

The loss to Fairfield on Friday night was the Huskies’ tightest match of the season. After getting a 6-4 win at No. 1 doubles from junior Justin Warren and sophomore Brady Flanagan, the Huskies failed to secure a win at No. 2 or No. 3 and dropped the doubles point.

“The guys are competing hard and playing well,” associate head coach Reinaldo Valor said. “Closing out matches has been a struggle so far this season but I know we are capable. The goal is to keep creating these opportunities and start to convert."

In singles action, freshman Yili Zheng (No. 1) and junior Jack McLister each picked up their 11th win of the season by winning in straight sets. At No. 5, freshman John Holtmann rallied after losing the first and pulled out a 1-6, 6-4, 6-4 victory. Juniors Hank Hill and Warren both fell in tight, three-set matches at No. 2 and No. 3 respectively, while senior Jonathan Edwards dropped a close 7-6, 6-4 decision at No. 5.

On Saturday, UConn again had a great opportunity to claim the doubles point against Hofstra, but Warren and Flanagan allowed a 5-2 lead to slip away at No. 1, losing 7-5 after their teammates Hill and McLister cruised to a 6-0 win at No. 3. Zheng and Edwards were bested 6-3 at No. 2.

Closing out matches has been a struggle so far this season but I know we are capable. The goal is to keep creating these opportunities and start to convert
— Associate Head Coach Reinaldo Valor

The Pride swept the first three singles positions in straight sets as Zheng, Hill and Warren were all defeated. McLister and Edwards each posted 6-3, 6-0 wins at No. 4 and No. 6 to claim the Huskies only two points in the match. At No. 5, Holtmann suffered a tough three-set defeat, losing 6-4, 2-6, 10-6.

"We didn’t step up in the big moments and Hofstra did,” Valor said. “We need to have a great week of practice and try to turn things around on spring break matches."

The Huskies will travel to IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida over spring break and will look to turn things around against Drexel, Colgate and Quinnipiac.

Story Salit is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at story.salit@uconn.edu.