Women's Lacrosse: Huskies downed by UMass in finals seconds

The Women's Lacrosse team lost to UMass 11-12 Saturday. The Huskies look to bounce back at the next home game on March 3 at the Sherman Family Sports Complex.

A heartbreaking final-seconds goal by No. 24 ranked Massachusetts put the score at 12-11 and gave UConn its third loss of the season on Saturday.

With the score tied at 11-11 and seven seconds left in the game, UMass’s Holly Turner dropped in the go-ahead goal that handed the Huskies their first home loss of the season.

The game started out competitive and ended in the same fashion as each team fought to gain the upper hand. UMass got things started with the first goal in the game, but that would be their only lead of the first half, as UConn poured the points on and took a 7-5 lead into halftime.

UMass came out hot in the second half by scoring three straight goals to take an 8-7 lead. Neither team managed more than a one-goal lead in the second half, and the score was tied up at 10-10 and 11-11 before Turner ultimately ended it.

UConn sophomore Olivia Miles had a great performance, going for a game and career-high five goals, four of which came in the first half. Grace Nolan, Sydney Watson, Kelsey Catalano and Grace McDonald also chipped in goals for the Huskies.

Nolan managed to etch herself a little deeper into UConn’s lacrosse history with this game. Nolan’s two assists and four points moved her into second place in program history for both points (218) and assists (83), according to uconnhuskies.com.

In the goal for UConn was sophomore Grace Beshlian, who had eight saves in the game.

The loss Saturday drops the Huskies’ record to 3-3, with the next chance for a win coming Wednesday March 7 at the University of Albany starting at 2 p.m. That Wednesday’s game marks the beginning of a three-game road trip for UConn.

Zac Lane is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at zac.lane@uconn.edu.